Spicy Chicken Wings with Greek Oregano

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
From the "Fiery Foods" episode of "BBQ with Bobby Flay" on Food Network, August 2004.

-------------------

Spicy Chicken Wings with Greek Oregano
Courtesy of Danny Edwards
Buffa-Q Wings
1227 Grand Blvd.
Kansas City, MO
Tel: (816) 283-0880

Recipe Summary
Difficulty: Easy
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 4 servings

12 whole chicken wings
2 tablespoons garlic salt
2 tablespoons black pepper
2 tablespoons cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons fresh Greek oregano leaves
2 cups Blue Cheese Dressing, recipe follows

Rinse the chicken wings under cold running water, then drain and blot dry completely with paper towels. Place the wings in a large bowl and sprinkle with the garlic salt, pepper, cayenne, and oregano. Season just 1 side of the wings for mild, or for hotter wings, turn the wings to coat the other side with seasonings and then cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 24 hours.

Preheat a grill to medium-high.

Grill chicken wings, turning once, until the juices run clear when pierced with a fork. Serve immediately with a side of Blue Cheese Dressing.

Blue Cheese Dressing:
1/4 pound blue cheese
1 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2/3 cup evaporated milk
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
1/4 teaspoon celery seed

Blend all ingredients together in a food processor. Transfer to a bowl, cover, and refrigerate until ready to serve.

I thought he smoked the wings in this episode, I was going to give it a shot next weekend. He used an open pit, I was gonna cook at 275-300 w/o a water pan on the WSM. Think this will work? Thanks

The higher temps should "crisp" up the skin a bit...I'd like to try it myself.

Chris, I'm salivating just looking at that Blue Cheese recipe....Thanks.

I just watched this episode again on Food Network.

The wings were cooked over a hickory wood fire for two hours and were described as being somewhat crispy after coming out of the smoker.

Regards,
Chris

I smoked these after seeing this episode. I used whole chicken wings, and two hours was not long enough on the smoker. Would definitely do at least three at 225.

Jane,

I think the idea is to cook for 2 hours at a temperature higher than 225*F, in order to get some crispiness to the wings.

Regards,
Chris

Back