Spice reference......

Gary Bramley

TVWBB Pro
Any feedback on this or any other reference about spices? More specifically, I am looking for information about combining spices.

Thanks!

Q’n, Golf’n & Grill’n…. too many choices!
Gary

I'm not familiar with the particular book referenced, however there are a lot of books out there that cover the topic in some detail. I think what you'll find is that most books that deal strictly with herbs and or spices will primarily be more of an encyclopedia and not deal as much in blending. For that I've just experimented and worked from other suggested recipies. Start writing them down if you aren't already! The recent Q&A with Jamie Purviance caused me to go through his 'Real Grilling' again. He brings up several good points, the most important being balance. He covers the need to balance the flavors pretty well. That caused me to rethink a marinade I had been tinkering with this past weekend and I think I've solved my problem.

Also see this one, Gary. Both are available together as well on the link you posted.

I buy from Tony Hill frequently, especially the exotica Penzey's et al. don't offer. I imagine the book would be worthwhile, as would Norman's.

I know of no material specific to spice/herb combinations. Though I agree with Purviance that combinations are subjectively appreciated, I think there are guidelines (many general but more than a few that could be considered specific) that one can employ. Much can be gleaned from trial and error, as Paul suggests.

I think that 'balance' has its place and I often shoot for that, but I also think it can be overrated--it depends on what one is shooting for. For example, a nicely balanced rub on ribs might get totally lost when the ribs are sauced--even if the sauce was balanced. It might be necessary to skew the rub one direction ('unbalance' it, if you will), the sauce in another, so that when combined balance is achieved. And, of course, items like lemon-garlic rice, shrimp fra diavolo and honeyed babybacks are skewed, respectively, toward lemon-garlic, heat from crushed red pepper and honey. Still, one doesn't want to go over-the-top so an eye toward balance while leaning a particular direction is warranted. As Paul aptly notes, sometimes fixing a problem means the focus needs to be on balance.

Some stuff you might find helpful: See my posts on this thread; this one on quality and chilies; and this one on the use of smell.

Hope this helps.

Glanced at both books yesterday at Barnes & Noble. Ended up purchasing the "Herbs & Spice" title in which Mr. Kruger referenced. I thought both books were quite informative. Kind of a coin toss as to which to take home and add to my cookbook collection. I guess when I was flipping thru the pages, it must have been when I spied the "allepo blend" recipe. Have taken the advice of Mr. Kruger and several others from this site to enrich my culinary skills more than any one book will do. When I read other post and don't quite known or understand what they are talking about, I can now go to my herb & spice book for quick reference. Now about that sauce book on the second shelf......it will have to wait till nest week.

Gary, there is a lot to be learned from others...they have gone thru this process. One of my techniques of learning spice groups is to chart recipes from folks I trust-group similar ones together and compare the blends. Just about everytime I think I have a 'new' rub-I can usually find one very similar. That said there is a lot of reward in putting your own stamp on something.
So compare, smell, taste and try your best. Some will be good and some will be excellent.

Thanks all.

Paul, I like that map!

My hat is off to those of you who can just bring spices together (not just bbq) and create something appealing. When you look at a website like Penzey's there is so much it is difficult to know where to start.

Thank for the help!

Q'n, Golf'n & Grill'n....too many choices!
Gary

Back