Spatchcocked Capon

Les Stubby

TVWBB Fan
A butcher we deal with suggested a capon instead a small turkey as there will be only 3 at our table for Thanksgiving (our kids our just too far away to justify the trip). I had the butcher spatchcock the bird. I plan on taking out the clay pot and water pan from my wsm and cooking the bird (8lbs.) at about 325. I'm estimating 2-3 hours of cook time. Does that sound about right.

Les Stubby

Leave the water pan in and cover it with foil. otherwise you're gonna get lots of flare ups.

To be honest with you, I am able to achieve those temperatures even with the clay pot in my WSM, but I have to crack the lid to do it.

Dave

I use a foil pan on the bottom grate to prevent flare ups. This method has worked great in the past. Does 2 to 3 hours sound about right for a 8 lb spatchcocked bird at 325-350?

Les Stubby

Les: Time sounds about right at those temps and I use a foil pan on the bottom grate as well, however, I do put the empty (foiled) water pan in as well. I like the multiply "baffles" as I think it produces more convection. JMO>

Back