SP-330 Rusty Doors

Dave in KC

TVWBB Wizard
oUEjBwNl.jpg

A gal I know asked me to service her grill for her. I agreed, brought it home, and found these horrible doors when I went to unload it. I have seen some really bad floors, sides, and backs, but I have never seen any rust like this on the inside or the doors. NEVER! The floor is actually in decent shape, ever after I scraped away the grease and mice nest.

Has anyone seen this problem before?

Not so much the doors as the floor pan. But I have had to trash the doors before.

I am still bewildered by this. I didn't even think that material could rust.
Speaking of - what is the inside of the doors made of? Aluminum?
Some type of galvanized metal?

Just plain painted steel. IMO the quality of these grills overall was/is no better than Chinese big box brands. My step nephew has one like this as well. It's rotted to pieces even worse than the one in the photo. He's disgusted with it because he thought he was paying big $$$ for higher quality and longer lasting

I see the cabinet grills fully rotted a foot up from the ground at the dump. Doors, frame, panels. The magnets get rusted over and the doors no longer remain latched and its downhill from there. The inside panel on the doors is thin gauge galvanized iron. It rusts. Just stick your grill tongs between the handles to keep the doors closed. Keeping them clean and dry is a challenge for most folks.

The older Spirit, Genesis and Summits cabinet models had SS304 doors with iron hardware that is more of a nuisance issue. Rust streaks, handles breaking off kind of stuff.

On the grill in the picture the water is coming from above. The water is rolling off the floor panel and collecting at the edges rotting the square tube and the door. I would guess the grill was only used occasionally and not covered.

Overall it looks pretty good. Just needs a little body work.

I am still bewildered by this. I didn't even think that material could rust.
Speaking of - what is the inside of the doors made of? Aluminum?
Some type of galvanized metal?
I think the inside of the door panel is supposed to be galvanized steel.

Back