Southern Yankee Rotisserie Smoker - HM Controlled

DLMiller

TVWBB Member
Here is my Southern Yankee Rotisserie Smoker re-fabrication project for the last 3 months. It has been rewarding and challenging but will be completed when I connect the meat temp probes and heat probe to the rotisserie.

The fan works great I attached it to a tube that spans the length of the firebox which can be rotated to get the optimal output.
The temp probes rotate along with the baskets at each end of the 4 arms allowing the meat to be monitored for precise temp.

Last edited:
I use slip rings. It's the same as a retractable electrical cord except there is no stop it rotates continuously. In my case I use 1 for the shaft and the one on each basket.

How do the probes not get tangled up?

A long time ago heatermeter had the ability to use wireless probes, not sure if its still in the code, though. You had to get a small wireless board and solder it to the heatermeter, it no longer has that spot.

It was rarely used.

I have tried wireless probes in the past they have a hard time communicating through the 1/4 steel of the smoker

That looks really great, the HeaterMeter looks right at home on there!

Also yes the code is still in there for doing wireless probes, although there's nowhere on the hardware to connect the receiver any more on the 4.3 boards. I think I might be the only one using this functionality though, and only for monitoring fridge temperatures and silly things like that.

I finally got some 1/4" Slip rings and holes drilled through the cooking rack piviot bolts. Now I can connect meat temp probes in the rotisserie smoke box.

Back