South Carolina > Charleston: Rodney Scott's BBQ

John K BBQ

TVWBB All-Star
Rodney Scott's BBQ
1011 King St, Charleston, SC 29403

I got to spend some time in Charleston SC this week, which is a really cool place to go visit. Lot's of history and good food there. Rodney Scott's is a pretty popular place. Mr. Scott has been on some food network shows and was featured by Netflix in an hour long documentary. He seems like a pretty solid guy so I had to go see what it was like. Unfortunately the "house specialty" didn't live up to the hype. My whole hog pork plate came out cold, the beans were OK, and cole slaw was nothing special. I think it would have been a different story if the food was served hot. The vinegar sauce on the table was very good. I also tried a little brisket (it was good, but not great). However, the chicken wings WERE AWESOME. I took some pictures to share with everyone too.

I think we all have pretty dang high standards on the forum, so I'm not wanting to seem negative here - just honest. Not sure I'd go back again, but I do admire what Rodney Scott is doing and it is a really neat place to visit. Maybe I was just there on an off night.

Outside of the building

IMG-4518.jpg

Smoke stack, and drive thru order board! You can peak inside thru the windows and see the guys working around the pits

IMG-4523.jpg

Rodney has a lot of outdoor seating.

IMG-4520.jpg

Rodney's away game smoker

IMG-4521.jpg

On the inside, the line moves quick, menu had pork, brisket, chicken, and most if not all of the southern style bbq sides.

IMG-4516.jpg

Here's my plate before things got serious as mentioned the chicken wings were really good. I think they were smoked and then re-seasoned and then flash fried.... SO GOOD. Pork would have been a lot better if served hot.

IMG-4517.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
No problem with me for a negative review, I like honest over hype. There was a time, I reviewed a local joint and gave my honest opinion on the ribs and I got some pushback from a member who asks me if I'd taken my complaint to the owner rather than post here on this forum :D

I've heard a LOT about Rodney Scott's. He gets a lot of favorable media. And several joints in Texas are trying to emulate his whole hog. Apparently its a thing in Texas barbecue these days to do a whole hog on Saturday or once a month.

I had my doubts that whole hog was really all its built up to be.

Good review.

If I visited Charleston, I think I'd hit John Lewis's place.

I went here with my wife in November and was slightly disappointed. I got the ribs which were rather dry. Wife got the pulled pork which was pretty good especially with the vinegar sauce. The colelsaw left a lot to be desired, but the mac and cheese was some of the best I've ever had. Looking back I should've gotten pulled pork at a place known for whole hog. Maybe I caught them on an off day. It was real cool to see Rodney in person though!

Back