Source for a new/used griddle for a Genesis Silver B?

Eric Weis

Well I went ahead and saved another Weber from the scrap yard and all I can say is wow - why didn't I do this earlier?!
Refurb is finished and I'd love to locate a griddle for it. They seem to be totally unobtanium so that's got me posting here
to see what the replies will be. I'd love to stay original so that's why I would consider a good used one too. Any ideas??

Try finding a local source for steel and have them cut you a piece of 1/4” steel to whatever dimension you wantimage.jpg
Gerry

Try finding a local source for steel and have them cut you a piece of 1/4” steel to whatever dimension you wantView attachment 29920
Gerry
In an E/W burner grill like that wouldn't it make sense to have the griddle fill the middle to back of the grill? That way you could have it over the back 2 burners. I would also be tempted to pull out the flavorizer bars to have a lot less metal to get the heat through. Just thinking.

You can get a flat griddle by having someone cut you a piece of steel -- griddle, baking steel, pizza steel. Google 222Steel on Etsy.

GrillGrates make GrillGrates (perforated flat side) or true griddle plates that come in the exact 17.375 size for a Silver B. You can get them in a bunch of different widths.

There's also several companies that make a full width (Steelmade) or half width true griddles (lip on three sides, grease trap, etc.). I'd be careful about covering up too much of the grill surface with a solid piece of steel -- you want to leave some space for airflow to avoid China Syndrome. Half griddle, half grates is what a lot of people do.

I replaced the cast iron cooking grates on my Silver B with GrillGrates. I use the rail side as my normal cooking grate. And the flat perforated side is my griddle, sear station, and pizza/baking steel. Can set it up as half grates, half flat top. Can't make pancakes or scrambled eggs (perforated holes), but otherwise it is a fine flat top. Fits perfectly.

Last edited:
Actually, for us, it works this way. We can use the other half of the grill like normal. That griddle stays in place unless we need more real estate. The other grill has the big 1/2” thick griddle. The flavorizer bars are stacked so they are not on top of the burners.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 29
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 29
I use the flat-side of my GrillGrates. With the exception of eggs, it works fine as a griddle.

Attachments

• asparagus.jpg
    asparagus.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 17
Rick if you were to do it over would you get the half you keep flat-side up without the holes? Then you could do eggs and pancakes.
Not really. We rarely do breakfast on the grill, except for French toast. The eggs congeal so quickly, that very little will fall through the holes.

A griddle isn't worth the money, to us, because 99.99% of the cooking I do on it is not breakfast. Even if I did cook a lot of breakfasts on the grill, I still wouldn't need a griddle, as the flat side of the grates work really well.

Full disclaimer: I copied the pic from the GrillGrates site.

Attachments

• Bacon-And-Eggs-Flat-Side.jpg
    Bacon-And-Eggs-Flat-Side.jpg
    267 KB · Views: 16
I believe Weber also makes a griddle that will replace one of the grates on the Weber Genesis Silver B. See: https://www.weber.com/US/en/accesso...ry/tools--et--cookware/griddle-7658/7658.html. But expensive. Cheaper on Amazon. Anyone try that?

1650891006884.png
The griddle from GrillGrates (https://www.grillgrate.com/products/the-griddle/?sku=Griddle17.375) are the right depth but not quite wide enough (9.3" wide vs. 11 7/8") to fit exactly but maybe that is OK.

Update from Weber:
I regret to inform you that the griddle for the Genesis Silver B was discontinued a few years ago.
It went by part # 7542. You may still be able to find it through online dealers.
I apologize for any disappointment.

So I guess part 7658 won't fit? This Amazon page says it will but don't think I trust it.

Last edited:
I've been thinking about a full size flat top for my 1000. Maybe even on that replaces the grates entirely.

Has anyone used or heard of steelmade ? This one is $99 and will fit on a 1000 or a silver...

"Bring your joy of flat top cooking to the Great Outdoors with this special version of the Flat Top designed specifically for outdoor propane and charcoal grills. Inheriting many of the best design features from the original indoor Flat Top, this version comes in a more grill friendly 16-1/8" deep x 23-7/8" wide x 15/16" tall (outside dimensions) size that fits a wide range of outdoor grills while still allowing their lids to fully close."

1651079084717.png

At slightly over 4mm thick, that looks nice. However, I do not think it is stainless steel. Just plain steel.

Is there something wrong with this one, other than it is only half-size?

1651092629761.png

EDIT: Just noticed this is the same as the one @DSeltz linked above. My GrillGrates are exactly 17.375" and fit with room to spare, so 17.5" shouldn't pose a problem...but if needed, a little touch-up work with an angle grinder (or a flat file) on the nubs that are used to space the griddle N-S will get them placed properly. Note that there are side projections to prevent you from from using two griddles side by side to avoid overheating the cookbox, but it's only cast iron...

Last edited:
What is everyone else's thoughts on it being regular carbon steel and not Stainless Steel?

Eric,
I searched for some time for a genuine Weber Cast Iron Griddle # 7542/7598 before I found mine as I did not want a porcelain finished aftermarket one but they are getting harder to find these days.

This one appears nice for $60

Jeff

Back