Sour Cream Cornbread

It doesn't need anything else! There’s so much sour cream and corn oil in this thing and 3T of melted butter on top, a couple of slices of this and I’ve exceeded my calorie limit for the day!

Somebody likes it like this. So moist it’s more like a cake than a cornbread.

IMG_5395[1].JPG

Last edited:
This recipe from Shirley Corriher uses Martha White Self-Rising Yellow Corn Meal which is impossible to find out west. Yes, there are other brands, and yes, you can make your own, and yes, the ingredients are listed at the end of the recipe. I used to get it in Michigan but don't get there as often as I used to. Looked for it in Indiana while passing through and didn't find it. But found it in Texas at an H-E-B Supermarket and bought it there.

Couple of fellas in Tulsa do a barbecue podcast, and they have knock down drag outs about whether cornbread should be sweet like cake. One guy operates a small barbecue joint in a food court, the other works for Hasty Bake.

I'm sort've in the middle. That slice in your pic looks too sweet for me. Travis Clark serves a sweet cornbread at his barbecue restaurant, Clarks Crew, that I love, and its sweet. The cornbread alone is worth the visit.

Couple of fellas in Tulsa do a barbecue podcast, and they have knock down drag outs about whether cornbread should be sweet like cake. One guy operates a small barbecue joint in a food court, the other works for Hasty Bake.

I'm sort've in the middle. That slice in your pic looks too sweet for me. Travis Clark serves a sweet cornbread at his barbecue restaurant, Clarks Crew, that I love, and its sweet. The cornbread alone is worth the visit.
My dad was from central Texas and wouldn't eat sweet cornbread, so Mom always made it without sugar and sometimes sourdough. I don't mind it either way but prefer the unsweetened or sourdough versions. It's a must with ham hocks & pintos.

Any time I hear “Martha White” I can only think of Lester Flatt and Earl Scruggs! Go youtube it!
Chris, that looks great! But, it would be happytime with a pile of pulled pork and sweet potato pie!
(Im not a big “greens“ fan)

Any time I hear “Martha White” I can only think of Lester Flatt and Earl Scruggs! Go youtube it!
Chris, that looks great! But, it would be happytime with a pile of pulled pork and sweet potato pie!
(Im not a big “greens“ fan)
You'll bake better biscuits cakes and pies(and cornbread) with Martha White. It's got Hot Rize. Goodness gracious there good.

There's room for cornbread, and cornbread of Northern Aggression (sorry, Chris..... I just could not resist,) the sweet stuff. Lately, I've been modifying the ATK cornbread recipe with diced jalapenos and grated cheddar.

What I do think is indispensable is a well seasoned cast iron skillet. The nicely browned crust...... just can't get that from glass or ceramic.

Back