Sometimes it’s better to be lucky

CarlB

TVWBB Member
I recently decided to switch up my cookers due to a new move with a different lay out. I wanted to pair down to a more streamlined set up, flat top, smoker & a big grill for daily cooking but no propane. I have a few kettles & a Performer which did my main grilling duties but I always ran out of room with a 22” & SnS. I researched & agonized, I couldn’t decide between a Smokefire since it could smoke & grill or a Masterbuilt 1050. But then I posted here looking for advice & someone suggested the Summit Kamado. Hmmmm, I loved my old Akorn Kamado & if Weber has a version I should definitely check it out but of course I couldn’t see one in person locally. I put it out of my mind & went with the MB 1050 which has turned out to be a fantastic smoker as well as an awesome griller. But as I continued to use the MB I couldn’t escape the fact that it wasn’t a Weber & I felt like every time I cranked it over 500 I was reducing its lifespan.

Then I started digging into the E6, watched a few video’s & then started to see the incredible versatility with multiple charcoal grate heights & the defuser. I still wanted to see one in person so I searched google for a local dealer who had one in stock. I finally found a local appliance chain with one on the floor so I visited the store & really liked what I saw so I bought it, unfortunately it had to be ordered. I had it shipped to a different store closer to home to pick up. When I arrived at the store a couple of days later I noticed a Summit charcoal grill with the gas assist on the showroom floor for $1499, nice grill but more than I wanted to spend. The manager asked that I pull around the back so they can load the E6 into the back of my truck, pulling around I saw the box on the loading dock but noticed that the top of the box was dented. Before loading the box in I asked to inspect it & we found damage to the bottom of the bowl, like not usable anymore type of damage. Without a hesitation the store offers to give me the Summit with the gas assist for the same money that I paid for the E6. When I gladly accepted their offer they then gave me another $100 back “for my troubles” I was blown away, you don’t see customer service like that every day. I happily tied down the WSC & took her home. Sometimes it’s better to be lucky than be good.

Attachments

• A70B6976-A80B-4436-A159-549A30A653A6.jpeg
    A70B6976-A80B-4436-A159-549A30A653A6.jpeg
    222.1 KB · Views: 21
Nice! Looking forward to pics of your cooks on your new grill. Also keep us up to date on how the 1050 holds up. They have only been out a couple of years and so far they seem to be lasting better than most people anticipate.

Sometimes it’s better to be lucky than be good.

Welcome to the Weber Kamado world....truly a great grill...I keep finding new ways to use it.

My favorite accessory was adding another charcoal grate so I have two...both a lower and upper. Because I was changing how I cooked so often, I also found myself having to move the grate up/down too often. Not THAT big of deal, but the added grate means I never have to move the lower one now... And, I even find myself searing on the upper "charcoal" grate with all the charcoal left on the lower one.

Weber OEM Lower Charcoal Grate SKU: 65815

Back