Some WSM Rookie Questions

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hello all, I'm rather new to the BBQ world and have done some research on new water smokers. What I have now works but is beginning to show its age (as it's a hand-me-down from a BBQ-Master friend). I was looking for an upgraded, well-built water smoker with hopefully better temperature control. Some friends pointed me toward the WSM, and this great site.
First question is how easy is it to tend the fire? My smoker seperates from the fire box, so you can poke and stoke the whole thing. It helped a bit when I really tanked (fire way too hot or too cold). Has anybody had a problem dealing with the fire thru such a small door?
Secondly, how is temperature control? Next to wear and tear, the lack of temp. control is my 2nd biggest reason for wanting to upgrade. It seems VERY well done with the WSM, with the multiple dampers and adjustable "chimney" and all.
Thirdly, not a real deal-breaker, but just curious. How do you move the thing when it's hot? I haven't seen any pics showing handles. Would I just let it cool off, scoop it up, and put it back in it's resting place?
Thanks a lot. I hope to do some cold weather BBQing soon up here, with new gear. I've been looking at a lot of watersmokers in the $100-$200 range (even ECBs...aaacht!) and I am definitely leaning toward the WSM.

Jerod,

I am also fairly new to BBQ with the WSM, only about two months. I use to own an ECB many moons ago. My main problem with Q'ing back then was temp control. But after lurking on this site for probably a month and reading everything I could about the WSM, I was convinced to give Q'ing another try. I am so glad I did.
Temp control is fantastic with the WSM. I have cooked pork butt, ribs, chicken, and using the methods I have learned here on this site. I can get my cooker to the 220-240 range and keep it there for hours, leave the top vent wide open and stabilize your temp with the bottom vents. Used the Minion method to fire up on a pork butt and got 10 hours of steady temps with no messing with charcoal.
As far as moving the WSM, I've never had to while I was cooking. Afterwards, just let it cool down and move it. I guarantee you, you will not be disappointed with the WSM and it's right in your price range. Best for the money.

Bruce pretty much answered your questions. The nice thing about the WSM is that you don't need to tend the fire much - you can use the Minion method and just play with the vents.

Many of us have put handles on the middle section, which facilitates removal of the top two sections in the rare instances when you do need full access to the charcoal.

I never move the WSM when it's hot - I consider that unsafe, even if there were handles.

You won't go wrong with this purchase. And, where else can you find an operating manual like this site? (Throw the Weber manual in the trash.)

Jerod

Nice of you too stop by. Beleive me you will learn a lot through this site.

As for Qing up here in New England,nothing to it.I've been using the WSM for about two ,three months now.Compared to oter units I've used,just like night and day.

Matter of fact you can purchase one through this site.It can also help this sight when you do buy one.Once the warmer weather is around the bend I'am going to get another. /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

One last thing I myself check this site two sometimes three times a day,for there is always all kinds of usefull information here. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Norm

Your first and second questions are somewhat related. Temperature control and the length of burn in the WSM are its biggest plusses.

Tending the fire through the WSM’s door has never been a problem as it's generally not necessary. A pair of long handled tongs can be used to poke at the fire to settle the ashes or distribute the coals. (Most of the time, I just rely on the gentle application of my size 12 tennie to the side of the base for settling the ashes.) A narrow spade or a shovel from a set of fireplace tools can be used to add more fuel during a long cooking session through the access door without having to lift the body from the charcoal bowl.

Small adjustments to one or more of the intake vents is all that’s needed to control the temperature in all but the most dire circumstances. There is a bit of a lag time between an adjustment and when its effects are noticed, but you’ll soon learn to anticipate when changes are needed and this will become second nature to you. The top vent should only be closed as a last resort to snuff out a runway fire. That's never happened to me, even when smoking bacon, but the possibility always exists. The rest of the time, it’s left open and the bottom vents are used to keep the temps in check.

On those rare occasions when I have to move mine during a cook, I put on a pair of lined gloves and pick up the cooking chamber by lifting from the top at the lip where the lid rests. The base is then moved separately by grabbing near the bottom of two of the legs. They’re far enough removed from the charcoal bowl that they’re relatively cool. Moving the WSM as a whole unit by lifting it would be a dicey, top-heavy affair that I wouldn’t recommend anyone attempting.

Of course, handles can be added to make moving a hot bullet easier and safer. One of the nice things about the WSM is they invite the urge to tinker with them after a while.

Considering your background with the ECB, you won’t regret stepping up to the Smokey Mountain. In fact, most of us here have taken the same route.

Hope this helps with your decision.

We cook at competitions so moving a hot pit is something we deal with all the time, welders gloves or something heat resistant will allow you take the cooker apart and dump waste water, ash and coals. Once those items are out of the cooker it cools quickly.
You are not going to have to spend much time tending fires just the nature of the beast, if you like tending fire then a WSM may disappoint you.
Chris has done a wounderful job explaining the techniques to handle almost any cook you can think of, this site is worth more than the cost of the cooker.
Jim

Everybody has spoken the truth. The WSMs temp control is fabulous and this site is worth at least 4 WSMs. The only downside is the fact that there's not a larger model available.

Just throw on enough charcoal, go get you a brew, and sit back and relax. It's that simple. Most of the time, all I have to do to tend the fire is put on a welder's glove and gently shake the charcoal ring.

You'll be the envy of everybody in the neighborhood in no time.
------------------------
Mark WAR EAGLE!!

Awesome, thank you guys very much. As for the "minion" method, I'm gonna have to look that up, but it sounds better than the "pour water on coals that are out of control" or "hold a fan over coals that are almost out" method that I currently employ. I do enjoy tinkering with the fire somewhat, but stressing out when it's out of control is something I can do without. The WSM sounds perfect, good quality, compact size but good capacity, and not having to monkey with the fire while hungry guests are standing around.
Thanks a lot! I've all but made up my mind. I'm gonna run around the site for a little while, and check some other models, but if (when) I order a WSM it'll be from this site. Thanks a lot!

Jerod, I had the same situation as you. I believed all the good things people said about the WSM, so I bought one. I found out... every good thing they said about it is true. It makes life (fire tending) simple, almost non-existent. You won't regret buying a WSM. Promise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back