Some Temperature Observations on my 2009 E310 Genesis…

JohnS FL

TVWBB Member
So, the other day after asking some questions about flame color and temperatures, I got a bit curious and decided that it would might be interesting to test out a variety of configurations and record the temperatures present on the hood temperature probe.

For some background, I have an older 3 burner E-W 310 Genesis with a new LP manifold, new regulator, and new burner tubes. All are OEM Weber parts.

I want to preface this with the statement that I realize not everyone will experience the same outcomes, and that this is just me recording what I saw. I’ll provide as much info as I can and then you guys can draw your own conclusions. All temps in F.

Outside Temp: 65
Outside Humidity: 92%
Nearby wind speed: 3 mph

Here is what I recorded:
All on High Initial Turn On: 680

Grill was then allowed to cool down and then:

I was curious to see if using the bottom burner which is physically closer to the hood temp probe would make a big difference. It did not. From that point on I used the top and middle burners only.

Top burner only on low: 265
Bottom burner only on low: 260
Top burner only on med: 310
Bottom burner only on med: 315
Top burner only on “3/4”: 335
Top burner only on full: 365

Two Burners:
Top and middle on low: 345
Top on med, middle on low: 380
Top and middle on med:440
Top on 3/4 and middle on med: 480
Top and middle on 3/4: 515
Top on full and middle on 3/4:550
Top and middle on full: 565

Three Burners:
All on low: 480
All on Medium: 600
All on High: 680

Let me know what you think - does this match your experiences? Also I did see a fair amount of overlap - what is the difference between hitting a temp with 1, 2, or 3 burners?

So that grill is a "sidewinder" with 5 flavorizer bars and a shallow box, correct?

The temperatures make good sense, for rotisserie on my 1995 (I think) 2000, I get to 400 plus (between 400 and 450) with front burner on high and rear burner about medium or medium plus. My temps are from a Meater, not the hood thermometer, my hood thermometer was broken. I just replaced it with an old thermometer that I believe is working. I should test that thermometer in boiling water.

Anyhow, great study, too bad you won't be able to test it with ambient temperatures wildly different, for example, zero degrees F outside. Wait, that's probably why you live in Florida where the temperature outside is either like hot or lukewarm pea soup ha ha! We lived in Dunedin in 1986, it felt like you needed to move that thick air out of the way just to walk around, but it's really good for your skin!

I miss my old South Florida home sometimes, but not all the time!

I used to say that on some late summer days you could take a dry towel outside, wave it around a few times, and then be able to wring out a bowl full of water:p.

Last edited:
LOL. I am sure you are right Jon. Wait until we get one of those days where you could take that "Bowl full of Water" and toss it up in the air and have it totally vaporize before it hits the ground.

So, the other day after asking some questions about flame color and temperatures, I got a bit curious and decided that it would might be interesting to test out a variety of configurations and record the temperatures present on the hood temperature probe.

For some background, I have an older 3 burner E-W 310 Genesis with a new LP manifold, new regulator, and new burner tubes. All are OEM Weber parts.

I want to preface this with the statement that I realize not everyone will experience the same outcomes, and that this is just me recording what I saw. I’ll provide as much info as I can and then you guys can draw your own conclusions. All temps in F.

Outside Temp: 65
Outside Humidity: 92%
Nearby wind speed: 3 mph

Here is what I recorded:
All on High Initial Turn On: 680

Grill was then allowed to cool down and then:

I was curious to see if using the bottom burner which is physically closer to the hood temp probe would make a big difference. It did not. From that point on I used the top and middle burners only.

Top burner only on low: 265
Bottom burner only on low: 260
Top burner only on med: 310
Bottom burner only on med: 315
Top burner only on “3/4”: 335
Top burner only on full: 365

Two Burners:
Top and middle on low: 345
Top on med, middle on low: 380
Top and middle on med:440
Top on 3/4 and middle on med: 480
Top and middle on 3/4: 515
Top on full and middle on 3/4:550
Top and middle on full: 565

Three Burners:
All on low: 480
All on Medium: 600
All on High: 680

Let me know what you think - does this match your experiences? Also I did see a fair amount of overlap - what is the difference between hitting a temp with 1, 2, or 3 burners?
It would be interesting to put a load on your grill to simulate an actual cook. A roaster pan or smaller with a quart of water in it and see how that affects the temps, not necessarily as completely as you have tested so far (good job, BTW!), but maybe a spot check here and there. I know that a water pan affects my charcoal cooks a significant amount but I'm not sure the same holds true for a gasser.

Back