So we had quite the storm

LMichaels

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
So yesterday we had an unusual even here in Rockford IL metro. A Derecho came blasting through. I guess straight line winds were over a sustained 100mph, lots of damage around, power failures and so on. Oddly not very much rain (which was really needed). These are a couple photos from nearby
1597149482652.png
1597149507224.png

It didn’t get this far, some damage along the lake shore but, I don’t know about my SIL’s place yet. I’ll go out and check on it today.

We got smacked by it earlier here in Des Moines, IA. Lots of tree damage and I’m coming up on 23 hours without power. Thankfully, I managed to borrow a generator to keep the fridge and freezer cold.

We got it pretty good here in Barrington only a few downed trees. My shop in wood dale has no power today.

Same here in DSM. 22+ hours w/ no electricity. Sucks.

A little damage around the yard, but nothing major thankfully. Hope everyone else is ok.

The really severe weather stayed to the south of us but my parents also live in the Rockford area, and it sounds like quite a few tree limbs came down in their subdivision. And while we didn't get the high winds, we actually got a reasonable amount of rain.

I have several friends in the Des Moines area and they're all reporting tree damage, and one of them has a car that got a little messed up.

Last edited:
We have lots of damage in the Rockford metro. Seemed to be especially hard hit north of State and the corridor between Alpine to Perryville and somewhat east as well. Loves Park Farm and Fleet had roof tore off and all the merchandise inside soaked and blown around but my Toyota dealer only 2 blocks west nothing. But just south of it destruction everywhere. Judging by what I saw I think it was not just straight line winds. I am sure there may have been a small twister hopping around
I had this huge VERY heavy generator I have been trying to sell forever. I had all but given up. I relisted it this morning (at a fair price I ain't no "gouger") and sold it inside of an hour.
Now once all this madness from the storms are over and stores are over stocked I will get myself an Inverter Generator. Smaller and easier to store and use

We've had those events a couple of times here since we moved up in 2006. 2 years ago, not just wind, but tornadoes, something like 5-8 in less than a 5 mile radius. Not pleasant in the least.

Larry, I've thought about a whole house generator (maybe it's a good thing I didn't know about yours....) In the storm 2 years ago, we lost power for only a couple of minutes at most, but south of the river, only a few hundred yards away, the village was dark for 48-72 hours. As much as I'd like one, I can't justify it here.

I just could not handle the thing. It was huge and HEAVY. It had a rope start not even a recoil. But it was really high quality. Made by Pincor for Monkey Wards. But the damn thing took 2 men and a boy to handle. Had a cast iron Briggs commercial duty engine, the generator was also all cast iron and of course all the copper. I estimated it weighed about 200lbs

Honestly I could have sold it for $100 more than I asked. But I figured that was not a fair way to deal with the situation. I asked for $250 and the guy who needed it gave me it. I also gave him a brand new gas tank for it. I don't think that unit had even run more than 10 hours or so since it was new back in the mid 60s

Yep It's nice to have a backup generator. Weird thing is since I bought mine, I never had to use it ( 3 years)
Before that, power went out and I was buying bags of ice for the freezer.
The nasty stuff was north of us, but it was still narly around here.
That's what happens with storms and a 60 year old subdivision, and overhead lines, and 60 year old trees.

Tim

I just could not handle the thing. It was huge and HEAVY. It had a rope start not even a recoil. But it was really high quality. Made by Pincor for Monkey Wards. But the damn thing took 2 men and a boy to handle. Had a cast iron Briggs commercial duty engine, the generator was also all cast iron and of course all the copper. I estimated it weighed about 200lbs

<chuckle> I thought you meant a big genset, like 10-20 kw, and on a stationary mount.

<chuckle> I thought you meant a big genset, like 10-20 kw, and on a stationary mount.
No, if it was that I would have simply hard wired it to the house with a transfer switch and installed the gen to run off ng. This thing was too small for that and too big to be useful to me. We now have confirmed there were multiple tornadoes in the region in addition to all the damage from the Derechco. Pretty easy when you drive around to see what damages were caused by what as well. Where the Derechco hit all the damage is in a straight line and where the tornadoes hit you can see where the damage skipped around. Anyway the area is pretty tore up

My shop in wood dale is still out and they are saying it may not be restored till saturday!

Back