So someone help me identify this grill....

Sam Borys

TVWBB Member
My Dad offered to give me this grill he bought but never used. It has an adjustable coal rack that heightens and lowers as well as a pull out shelf to clean the ash. 2 vents on the lid and 2 vents on the bottom portion... Seeks quite simple. All metal construction.

No idea of brand name, but it's free... Will this do a better job than jury rigging my 18.5 WSM?

IMAG1684_zpsc0446dcf.jpg

IMAG1683_zps6230edf1.jpg

I saw that in Walmart a couple years ago, I think it was Kingsford. Although the Kingford usually has a name plate above the temp guage

Last edited:
Someone told me it's a santa maria style grill, and after some research I see that's based on this grills ability to raise and lower the coals.

I'm excited to try it out. I'd be able to lift a hot bed of coals right up against the cooking grate, so I bet it'd make for some good searing action.

Someone told me it's a santa maria style grill, and after some research I see that's based on this grills ability to raise and lower the coals.

I'm excited to try it out. I'd be able to lift a hot bed of coals right up against the cooking grate, so I bet it'd make for some good searing action.

I don't think it's a Santa Maria grill. But it's free and that's always good.
http://jdfabrications.com/

I've seen a few of these on CL for sale and wondered how they worked. If worse comes to worse and it doesn't work good, you can always remove the grill portion from the frame and put the WSM in it and you will have tables and wheels on your smoker :)

My bro has almost the identical grill. His is a BBQ Pro made for K-Mart/Sears. He's had it for quite awhile and likes it.
Just try to keep it out of the weather, the bottom of his cook-box rusted out eventually and he had to weld a new plate to keep it going.

Tim

My bro has almost the identical grill. His is a BBQ Pro made for K-Mart/Sears. He's had it for quite awhile and likes it.
Just try to keep it out of the weather, the bottom of his cook-box rusted out eventually and he had to weld a new plate to keep it going.

Tim

Ok, good to know! I'm usually pretty diligent about keeping my grills tarped at the very least, so I'll keep that in mind this year. Probably even bring this guy inside before the snow flies just in case.

It is true that a trademark of a Santa Maria grill is the ability to raise and lower the cooking grate but a true Santa Maria grill will not have a lid as yours does.

doesn't matter, its free. they work ok. you should be ok with it. but do take care of the lower part as mentioned, keep it oiled and clean !

I had one just like that, it worked pretty good, just too many ways for the air to escape and the metal was like 24 guage, but I liked it, lots of cooking area.

It is true that a trademark of a Santa Maria grill is the ability to raise and lower the cooking grate but a true Santa Maria grill will not have a lid as yours does.

I've done a bit of research and am starting to see that Santa Maria grills are indeed a different animal than the one I have.

Oh well, I'm pumped for the ability to raise and lower the grate. I'll be doing a lot of quick cook steaks/burgers/chicken with this baby.

Back