So I'll not hijack Jim Lampe's thread....

Jim S

TVWBB Fan
Jim's excellent post on spatchcocking chicken gave me the idea for this post. Last year I was asked to attend a little girl's 1st bday. So I decided as a present, I would cook up a bunch of chickens to feed the expected crowd. I figured it would be a lot different than the usual burgers/sausage & hotdog trifecta one usually sees.

The night before, I bought the birds and cut them in half. I got out of work late and didn't get them on the WSM before dark. When I do mine, I usually just cut 'em in half and skip doing any trimming unless there are big fat pockets to take out.

IMG_3168SMENH.jpg

Getting loaded up... first rack.

IMG_3567SMENH.jpg

Another would go on top of that. For the firespice, on would go a smallish chunk of apple, and a bigger chunk of cherry. After about an hour, I opened up the door to make sure I didn't have a disaster in there. Looked good. I swapped position of the racks, and turned the birds over skin side down.

IMG_3570SMENH.jpg

Got the WSM closed up again and took the birds off about 45 minutes later. Temp was 170, I knew I'd be good to go the next day. They basically looked like this when they came off. They looked real dry, but I found that there was a bucketload of juice under that skin. All the chickens went into the freezer for a quick cooldown, then I cut 'em into 1/4's. Wrap in foil, and into the fridge for the night. Me....off to bed!

IMG_3176SMENH.jpg

I also bought a sizeable roaster to throw on for ourselves. I figured that the fire would be still going... no point in wasting it. Smoked chicken salad here we come.

IMG_2765SMENH.jpg

The next day, Cat & I got to the party and I got the gasser working. I'd made a simple fruit sauce the night before, and gave the birds a bath. A half hour in there warmed 'em up nicely and put a couple grill marks on them. The sauce married with all that chicken juice and became nice & thick too. Probably 60 people showed up, more than half were adults. Not bragging, but the chicken was a massive hit. The little one's mom came up to me after we were done and shoved some money in my pocket, saying She would be totally offended if I didn't accept it. I didn't want to be rude so I waited till we left ourselves. Wasn't expecting that at all seeing that I'd told 'em before that it was a present for the baby. Turned out she gave me 50!

HoleyBalls Jim! What a GREAT! Post!!!
Will you cook birds for My Birthday??!!
icon_wink.gif

L?VE THIS Photo!
IMG_3567SMENH.jpg

...and Thank You Jim, for your kind words on my bird post
icon_smile.gif

Back