Smoking Ribs and Chicken together

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveM.

TVWBB Super Fan
Hey Folk's, I'm going to cook a Slab of Ribs in a Rib Rack on the top rack of my WSM and 2 butterflied chickens on the bottom. My question is how long should I cook each and at what Temps? Should I use a full water pan or empty? Thanks for you input. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Let's look at this logically. If you're cooking both at the same time, you have to cook low & slow because of the ribs, which also implies you must use something in the water pan to help keep you in the 225-250* range. Therefore, the chickens will take you approximately four hours at those temps to reach 160* internal, measured in the breast.

You don't say what kind of ribs you are cooking-- BBs or spares-- but how long to cook either can be easily determined, either by looking at the rib topics in the Cooking section, or doing a forum search.

It is also important that you use a milder wood,
apple, peach, pear, cherry. The butterflied chickens make be too bittter if you use hickory.
Pecan would be as heavy as I would go

If you do BB ribs your times will be pretty close; however check the chicken for an internal temp of 160 at breast and check the ribs with a toothpick for tenderness. If you do spare ribs, your cook time for them will be closer to 7 hrs and the chicken will have to come off first.

Down here in the Deep South, hickory is the most commercially available wood and I think you'll be alright if you don't use more than 3 chunks. However, if the other mentioned woods are available to you, then you may be better off with them.

Cooking chicken low and slow will not give you crisp skin, but the flavor is great. I discard the skin to avoid the extra fat, which, of course, I immediately make up for with the ribs and an occasional boston butt. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Good luck.

Paul

I was under the impression that chicken gets a smoky flavor faster that pork, and its better to cook chicken at higher temp to help with risk of food poisoning.I can tell you that this weekend I decided to do the meatloaf as described on this web site. I still had heat, so I rubbed some chicken thighs and legs and smoked them at 350 with a dry pan. After 45 min they were ready, temp of 170-175. The color was real good, and they tasted great IMHO. I say add more ribs!!

Many people do prefer to cook chicken at a higher temp because it provides the crisp skin. If you cook low and slow to the appropriate internal temp, there shouldn't be a health problem, I often do mine this way and have on a WSM for 11 years. It's also the method described by Weber in the WSM manuel. I do believe chicken absorps the smoke flavor faster than ribs, but how much is enough or too much smoke is a very individual thing.

Paul

One of my standard smokes is two 'beer can' chickens on the bottom and the top loaded up with ribs cooked at around 225 deg dome temp.

I half full the Coke cans with apple juice, salt, cracked pepper, and rub and everything finishes around 5 hrs or so. I do get the larger birds so two just fits on the bottom rack.

Sonny, how big are the chickens and the size of ribs you are using? I have found in my WSM ribs at 225-250 take about 6-7 hours.

Hey Steve,

The chickens are the broiler size with temp between 215 and 250. I should have mentioned, I foil the ribs during the last hour to hour and a half.

You are right if it is the cold of winter, like now, it can go to 7 hrs. We usually don't get too much cold weather in Birmingham.

I cook the birds until the temp probe gets to around 175 deg in the thigh. The entire cook depends on the meat temp. It has to get to that 175 deg. That might be a little high, but poultry scares me and I would rather be on the safe side.

Ribs are usually ready close to the same time. I prefer them to fall off the bone, other folks don't.

Thank you for the info. I have not tried the foil on the ribs yet, from what you are saying it makes the ribs cook a shorter time so the can come out with the chicken. I have not entertained yet, but this sounds like a great way to share BBQ with friends. I do like the bark on good ribs, but I know alot of my friends feel a tender rib is the sign of a good cook. Guess I'll have to try your method and find out (how sad huh /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif ).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steve Hilmer:
[qb]I do like the bark on good ribs, but I know alot of my friends feel a tender rib is the sign of a good cook. Guess I'll have to try your method and find out (how sad huh /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif ). [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Not sad at all. A sign of a good cook is one that listens to the people that eats his/her food and gives them what they want.

Keep in mind that there are many purists that believe it should be done one way and one way only. If you're a traditionalist then foil would be a real no-no. But if you enjoy your ribs mushy and falling off the bone then so be it. I personally like a little tug and then the meat coming cleanly off the bone. My wife on the other hand enjoys mushy boiled ribs. If it were up to her I wouldn't be allowed to add smokewood to the fire!

Just keep in mind - different strokes for different folks!!!

You are sooooo right! I hope my post was taken correctly. I was meaning to say that I have wanted to try the foil, but since I am happy with the ribs coming out of the WSM already, why futz with success? Doing the rib/chicken thing give me the chance to not only try foil, but up to now I have not tried to smoke 2 different things at the same time. When I do entertain, I want to be able to share all type of smoked goodies. I will probably smoke some butts the day before and make both types of ribs and a beer can chicken on the day of the party. Varity makes the word go round!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back