Smoking meat for mexican food

Darin Hearn

TVWBB Fan
My wife's family is having their Christmas party on Monday. They have a tradition of eating mexican food for their party. They make some great food! A few years ago I talked them into letting me smoke the meat that they use to make the mexican food and now everyone is hooked!
icon_biggrin.gif

So right now my WSM is full with a 15 pound chuck roll and two 8 pound pork butts. It should be some good eating tomorrow!!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Chuck makes great beef enchilada and burrito filling. I just season the chuck with some New Mexican chili powder and a little cumin, garlic and onion powder. Same with the pork as Carnita's. "Awesome stuff"....

My family enjoys smoked chicken enchiladas in green sauce. Pulled pork burritos and chile verde with rice. I'll have to try the chuck roll.

Carnitas are usually made from a boston-butt that has been braised rather than smoked. Maybe a adobo rub and a lime and apple cider vinegar marinade injection with adobe and chile powder. I've used leftover pulled pork for burritos and tacos and my hispanic friends thought they were carnitas.

Back