Smoking in Florida

Jonathan T

Hey everyone. Been grilling for most my life with a Weber kettle and then tried my hand at smoking with a ceramic grill. My wife picked me up a digi q for an early Xmas gift but had the wrong port for my ceramic grill. That being said I ordered the right one but can wait to try it so I went today and picked up a wsm 18. That being said I’m going to smoke a brisket tonight as a test run. Any pointers would be welcome and appreciated.

Hey everyone. Been grilling for most my life with a Weber kettle and then tried my hand at smoking with a ceramic grill. My wife picked me up a digi q for an early Xmas gift but had the wrong port for my ceramic grill. That being said I ordered the right one but can wait to try it so I went today and picked up a wsm 18. That being said I’m going to smoke a brisket tonight as a test run. Any pointers would be welcome and appreciated.

no shortage of videos showing you how to select, trim, smoke a brisket or how to use the WSM 18. Harry Soo has some good ones. Dont worry about competition oriented tips....different ballgame. I think 260-275 is best temp for getting bark on brisket. Dont wrap until have the bark you want..... Regardless of the internal temperature. if it doesn't bark up till 185, then it doesn't bark up till 185. Lots of blanket advice to wrap it 150-165, well that depends on what temperature you're cooking at, and where your probe may be located at. Lower temperatures may not bark up by then.

Have fun. I had 16 lb one for lunch today . Finished it about 2:30 a.m., held it in a cooler till 8:30, then into the oven at 150F for a couple more hours. it was still 145F when I took it out the cooler.

BdJYQlqB_o.jpg

CrgIH4X5_o.jpg

Last edited:
Hi fellow Floridian, WELCOME!!!!!! There is a great bunch of people here. I love this place. I'm sure you will also.

Welcome aboard Jonathan. I think you'll be very pleased with that WSM. Enjoy this place. Lots of folks to share tales with and discuss BBQ.

Back