Smoking Brisket and St. Louis Ribs

D Brewer

Hi,

I will be smoking an 11lb brisket and 2 racks St. Louis cut ribs Memorial Day week-end on a 22-in WSM. How do I smoke both without issues of cross-contamination?

I plan on putting the brisket on the smoker @ 4:00am for about a 12-hr cook. I figure the ribs will take about 5 hrs and I am planning at keeping the smoker temperature around 250F. Do I move the brisket to the lower grate when putting on the ribs? I plan on foiling the ribs towards the end of the cook so I don't know if I could coil them and keep everything on the top grate. I plan on eating around 5:30pm - 6:00pm (keeping the brisket in a cooler wrapped in towels for a couple of hours after it reaches 190F).

Another question: Do you feel this will be enough food for 14 adults (7 girls around 25 years old, 5 boys around 26 years old and us two parents)? We will have side dishes (baked beans, macaroni salad) and wings as an appetizer.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks.
Dave

Well Dave, I don't have a 22 and I have never done a brisket, so this is an educated guess

If you plan on wrapping the brisket after it hits around 160ish, then I would definitely move it to the bottom rack at that time. If you want to separate the point and make burnt ends, you should be able to get 2 racks of St. Louis and the point on the top grate (using a rib rack if you have to). Since you have good access to the bottom grate with the 22, you can then easily check it and pull it when it is done. Since everyone will say this, don't pull it at a certain temp, but when it is probe tender (you may already know this). Then let it sit in a cooler until everything else is done

I would say that the amount of food you have will be enough. 1/2 lb per man is a standard amount for an adult and you have a bunch of 25 year old girls who probably wont eat that much. Plus with wings and sides, you should have plenty

I hope that was a good guess for you :)

You are cooking both meats well beyond a safe cooking temperature so you don't need to worry about cross contamination.

Back