Smokey Salsa on Charcoal or Gas?

Howard V

TVWBB Member
I have enjoyed making homemade salsa and my wife loves the smokey taste. I char the veggies (tomatoes, onions, jalapenos and garlic) on the grate over hot charcoals. The skin is burnt to a blacken color. I keep the burnt skin on when I blend the veggies. I like to make this after grilling my meats with charcoals still hot after a long cook.

I don't have anything plans to grill meats this weekend but wanted to make this salsa recipe. I don't want to start up charcoals just for 5 mins of cooking. I was thinking of using my gas grill for convenience and quick clean-up but I have never done this recipe on my gas grill.

Do you think I will get the same smokey flavors if I char the veggies with gas vs. charcoals? Does the smokey flavors come from the type of fuel source or just the heat cooking the veggies surface?

Thanks

I think your smoke flavors will certainly not be as intense as over charcoal. One option would be to soak some wood chips and put them in a foil pack. Poke a bunch of holes in the foil with a fork and set over one of the burners. I also like a smokey salsa but usually don't think to grill/roast veggies for it when I have the grill going. I usually add some adobo sauce from a can of chipotle peppers and/or smoked paprika. Not the same, but it does give that smokey essence. Keep in mind the adobo will add heat, so adjust accordingly.

Last edited:
I think your smoke flavors will certainly not be as intense as over charcoal. One option would be to soak some wood chips and put them in a foil pack. Poke a bunch of holes in the foil with a fork and set over one of the burners. I also like a smokey salsa but usually don't think to grill/roast veggies for it when I have the grill going. I usually add some adobo sauce from a can of chipotle peppers and/or smoked paprika. Not the same, but it does give that smokey essence. Keep in mind the adobo will add heat, so adjust accordingly.

Thanks, Jim. Some creative solutions there.

I have been to a diner before here they would just char their veggies on the girdle and still got decent flavors. Maybe their use liquid smoke for the flavor!

Try Jim's way above in using your gas grill to smoke-up some veggies and if the results are not satisfying revert-back to your charcoal grill on your next cook. As you surely are aware Trying different trial-and-error way(s) are part of the on-going learning process in BBQing. For example, My Brother in Texas always begins his Brisket Cook in his Off-Set Smoker and finishes it in his Kitchen Oven which always turns-out tender and tasty. So, here in Costa Rica Once tried it his way and it came out tough and not-so-tasty; so, I reverted back to only smoking it in my WSM 18" "Classic".

Last edited:
One more option add a lit briquette in a foil packet and one chunk of dry wood. Set it to one side of the gas grill and don't turn that side on. I used to use a tea tin that I had drilled a bunch of holes in. I'd add a lit briquette and a chunk of dry wood on top. Worked great. Wonder where that tea tin is? Got me thinking...

I think your gas grill by itself will do fine. I for one do not like the flavor of wood smoke on veg. That being said I have grilled veg over hardwood charcoal that's blazing hot and found doing them on gas I cannot tell any difference. Because when you use hardwood at high temps you're tasting the char not smoke per se

Back