Smokefire Troubleshooting Guide

Lew Newby

R.I.P. 1/26/2024
SmokeFire Troubleshooting Guide

I've tried to remember different problems that folks have posted here and on a FB Group but I'm sure I missed some. Some of you may want to add steps to troubleshooting a problem I've identified and I appreciate any input. We have a lot of people here with more SF experience than me but this is something that I felt could help some folks. I'm no expert so I could use help here. What I'm asking for is:
1. Ideas for additional problems I should address and
2. Any changes to what I've written.

I lost formatting when I pasted the file here so I apologize for the distraction it causes.
  • No Power to grill.
  • Make sure switch is turned on. Check that power cord is connected to grill. Check that cord is plugged into a live outlet. (This may require checking the circuit breaker.) If using an extension cord make sure it’s connected properly. Check fuse.

• Startup problems:
  • Take out your center heat deflector and the welded abatement and watch the burn pot during start up. If the glow plug doesn't glow that's a problem. Watch it long enough to make sure that it stays glowing until the pellets burst into flames. Listen to the fan. If it's idling you probably won’t get combustion. Fan cycling low to high is normal to produce combustion. Listen to the sound of pellets dropping so you know that sound when the lids closed. Your eyes and ears will help you know what's going on inside when it's closed up.

• Flameout.
  • You need air, fuel, and heat to maintain fire so you lost one or more. Listen to hear if your fan is running. Are pellets feeding into the Auger? Check the pellet hopper to ensure you have some pellets in there. If you do, poke your finger down in your pellets above the chute and if the pile collapses some then you had a cavity build up over the pellet chute. The finger guard can cause this. Check to ensure that the auger feeds pellets into the fire pot. If the fan is running, auger works, and you have pellets feeding into the chute then suspect the controller.

• Temperature drops and just sits at a temp up to 150° below set temperature.
  • Listen for pellets dropping and fan noise, if occasional pellets are falling and fan is idling then the controller is just maintaining and not recovering. Raise set temp 50° and listen for pellets dropping, fan on high. You should see temp start to recover. Once recovered reset set temp to desired.

• Grill temperature fluctuates on controller panel.
  • Check the grill temperature probe for heavy soot buildup. Check the pellets for proper feed into the pellet chute. Ask the controller why it’s mad at you. 😊

• Meat temperature probe is plugged in but the indicated temperature fluctuates a lot.
  • Check the connection at the controller. Remove the probe wire from that port and move to a different port. If it still fluctuates you can suspect the probe. If it stops the port is bad.

• The numbers on the controller are blurry.
  • If new to California first check if the ground is shaking. Check if you’re wearing your glasses. Count the number of dead soldiers in the trash. If more than six – switch to black coffee and wait a couple of hours. Whatever you do don’t call Weber on this one.

• The pit temperature will not get near 600°.
  • Check that you have the latest version of the app, controller firmware, and controller software. Check the quality of your pellets. Fresh pellets are shiny and snap when broken. If the pellet crumbles when you handle it it’s completely bad. Listen to the fan and it should stay on high at high temps. Gen 1 grill? If you haven’t installed the welded chute assembly- do it now.

• Software Issues. PLACEHOLDER

• I'm not comfortable delving into this one. We have grill firmware and software plus the App. As I understand it the firmware controls the operation of the grill which I think includes the PID circuit. The software may control what we see on the controller screen, contains the cook programs, and is the interface with the App. The App is - the App. My approach when I suspect a software/firmware problem is to change my input temp and if that doesn't work then it's time to reboot and start over. If my App acts up I remove it and reinstall. I have never had to reboot but I have reinstalled the App.

• This section needs help.

Back