SmokeFire Take 2: A Happy Camper

BFletcher

TVWBB Platinum Member
Maybe I should wait until I've used it more before posting this but patience is not always my virtue :p . Earlier this year I purchased and returned a SF because of significant instability.

I bit again and got it assembled Friday before our Chucky was released from the animal hospital. He has a gallbladder issue and is still not out of the woods but I'm at least able to spend some quality time with him for the immediate timeframe. Most of us share a few things in common and our household pets are one of them. And over the the past several years of enjoying this site I have seen several of you saying goodbye to your fellas and, so, this is not a pity party and I recognize my eventual loss will be no greater than you whom have had to say goodbye.

Waiting to leave the hospital and then some Father-Son time Saturday morning:

20210625_153952.jpg20210625_160150.jpg

And his earlier days when he was at the home stretch of an unknown race:

chuck1a.jpg

Friday afternoon I let it run at 600f for half an hour; at that temp the handles and even the surrounding ambient areas really feel the heat. I'm guessing I smelled some of the adhesive from the weather stripping, too. Then a little later before I used it to cook I was curious (and hopeful) that it would perform well, so I let it run naked for a couple hours at 225. It passed with flying colors :)

I rarely do overnight smokes but I didn't want to do any activities that would keep me away from Chucky, so I started a pork shoulder somewhere between 8-9 PM Friday. And though I have never used the equivalency of Smokeboost on any other pellet smoker I did use it this time for 2 hours.

Adding some smoke flavor to the grates. So smoky under the hood that it will irritate your eyes in a nanosecond:

20210625_204718.jpg

No in between pics but this is after the pull (I'm always conflicted when saying "pull" while referring to a pork shoulder). If you ask me, I say she looks sexy.

20210626_131350.jpg

Compared to my typical shoulders this was a late bloomer but Smokeboost and then riding for several hours at ~225f explain why (I usually do them at ~275 throughout the cook).

Screenshot_20210626-131401_Clock.jpg

The second pull. This sucker pulled nicely, yielded perfect bark to my preference, and I could have passed a blindfolded test that it had been smoked. One of Chucky's favorite things is to sit at my side while pulling a shoulder cuz' he knows I let him taste test. He chose to rest during this pull but I walked a few pieces to him and he happily ate it. He is not eating voluntarily, so this was was a plus:

20210626_151726.jpg

I used these (below the grate) to reduce the pit cleanup. One pan collected all the drippings and all I had to do was run a paper towel in the barrel to funnel the ashes through the drip tray channels. Easy-peasy. Next cook will be on the right side to dirty things up.

Screenshot 2021-06-27 115014.png

20210626_143102.jpg20210626_143520.jpg

Check this out; uncontrollable temps were probably the main reason I had to return a unit earlier this year but this baby is--so far--a stable puppy. I monitored the pit with the Fireboard and had a Meater in the shoulder; they registered temps lower than what the SF registered, especially on some of the higher temp settings, but that's not uncommon and at least the temps were stable. So long as we can obtain stable temps we can compensate for the rest.

smokefire_foreboard_062521.png
If you read this far I apologize for intruding upon your weekend but thanks for reading and I hope everyone has a terrific week :)

Very happy for your successful maiden voyage. It would be interesting to know how many others there are who went back for another SmokeFire after a first, unhappy start. I think the worst is in the rear view mirror for this innovative pellet grill. It certainly can produce great looking - and tasting - food as your pictures and experience again corroborates. Good deal - Enjoy! Keep on sharing :coolkettle:

Fletch, that sucks about your dog, looks like a happy camper in that running pic.
best of luck with the SmokeFire!! Like Lew says it does require some work and attention but IMO a hell of a lot less than my 22” WSM.
Pork looks great from here!!

Fletch,
I am glad the Smokefire 2 is doing you good, but I am also extremely glad you are getting to spend some quality time with Chucky! My Hazel got some extra pork today as I thought about you and Chucky.
Michael

I sure hope Chucky pulls through. And thanks for posting a great cook from your new SF. Hope to see lots more.

Looks like a great cook. Glad to hear that round 2 is working for you. I waited until Gen2 was out, and very happy so far. Wishing you lots of great cooks, and most of all, lots of time with your pup.

Charlie

Back