Smoked fish spread too salty...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob B.

TVWBB Pro
This is a copy of an email I sent to 3men.com:

I need some help on learning what I did wrong. I brined the fish in 1/4 c salt, 1/4 c sugar, 1 quart of water for about 7 hours. Rinsed them, then pat dry with paper towel. After I smoked and flaked it, I soaked it in milk (skim is all we had) for an hour. Finished the recipe as directed. The problem is that the spread is still very (too) salty. Is this because of the skim milk? Was I supposed to pour the milk off that the fish had been soaking in? Something went wrong, what do you think it was?

Following is the recipe I used from your site:
1 ? cups crumbled smoked fish
1/2 cup milk
8 ounces light cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup finely minced onion
1 stalk finely chopped celery
1 tablespoon finely minced fresh parsley
3 teaspoons sweet pickle relish
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (or to taste)
Cayenne, salt and pepper to taste
Put the smoked fish in a medium bowl and add the milk. Cover and chill for 30 minutes to an hour. Stir in the cream cheese, onion, celery, parsley, relish, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, and cayenne, salt and pepper to taste.
Cover and chill for 2 to 3 hours until flavors have blended.
Serve with your favorite crackers.

The actual smoked fish looked great. Two hours at around 200-210* gave it a beautiful golden brown color. Was moist and flakey. I think that even if the fish hadn't been too salty, I still wouldn't have liked the recipe too much. Wasn't a good consistency. Anyone have a favorite to share?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back