Smoked Chicken (*Cover like snow*)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vinny G

TVWBB Fan
Hello Jamie,
I tried the chicken that was on the Weber web site. Where you use kosher salt and put it on like snow. Leave it on for 2 hours and then wash it off. Then apply more salt and pepper on it and smoke it. I smoked it on WSM
wsmsmile8gm.gif
. Well it came out juicy and very good. At the same time I cooked a chicken that I brined it over night in a salt and citrus brine. The meat had the same juiciness. So I am writing this to thank you for the salt trick. To me it saves so much time! Next time I will do the kosher salt like snow, then put oranges,limes and lemons inside the bird and hope it would have the same taste as the citrus brine. Do you think it would?

Keep on Smoking

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris Allingham:
Can anyone provide a link to this recipe on the Weber site? Or is it in a previous cookbook?

Regards,
Chris </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Smoked Chicken recipe is in the Weber's Charcoal Grilling, page 168. This was the first smoked recipe I tried on my kettle. It turned out fantastic. Thanks Jamie!

You know what's freaky? I grabbed my copy of Weber's Charcoal Grilling and I already had a bookmark on page 168 for this recipe!

Thanks for pointing me to the right book, Soren.

Regards,
Chris

I saw it at the Weber web site in grilling classes on a short video. Give it a try Chris it a time saver and it turns out great
icon_biggrin.gif
. I am probably going to smoke
wsmsmile8gm.gif
this and a pork loin plus, grill up some stakes on the Smoke day. I am going to put the citrus in the chick and hope it has that same taste as the brine I made. DO you think it would? Should I add anything else to it?

Keep on Smoking
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I just wanted to agree with Vinny on this recipe. It makes such juicy, delicious chicken. My favorite whole chicken method. Thanks Jamie

I think Vinny is referring to the "Smoked Chicken" on page 168 of "Weber's Charcoal Grilling." It's features the authentic way to kosher a bird. Very easy and really delicious. Stuffing the bird with citrus might contribute a little flavor. Yes, I think it would work. Let us know, Vinny.

Jamie

this is by far my favorite way to do whole birds. i usually use a salt free rub on it. either my own, or dizzy pig's salt free dizzy dust. the chicken comes out juicy,tender every time and the skin is crispy as well. i have the charcoal grilling book and i also have the smoked chicken podcast on my ipod
icon_biggrin.gif

Yup - I visited a kosher chicken plant once, and they literally cover the chicken, inside and out, with buckets of salt.

I spoke to a friend whose a chef and he told me he likes to use kosher chickens for this reason. On the east coast, the most common brand is Empire, and I heard that Cooks Illustrated rated it as the best tasting chicken a while back, so I guess that brine really makes a difference. Just a tip though: get it from a kosher butcher if you can, as they typically charge less than supermarkets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back