Smoke wood source?

Robert Terry

TVWBB Fan
I can find hickory, mesquite and cherry locally in chunks, but I am looking for alder, white oak, and anything else appropriate I can try. What is everyones favorite mail order source(s)? What price range is appropriate?

I live in Bradenton FL, and wondered if any of the oak species in the south here are useable? Live oak is plentiful. How is wood seasoned/dried/treated if "harvested" locally, to make it suitable for smoking?

Cant really help you with a good online source.

But you can call the local funiture/kitchen makers(if you have any) and ask if they have trash peices of Fruit wood/oak and get a whole bag for free,or a few bucks.

If harvested from a tree,Cut up peices to fist sized chunks and split em once with an axe. Those portion sized chunks will dry up fast if you lay them out on a grate or any surface. Just keep em from rain and it will be good for smoking within 1-2 month.

Be careful if you get scraps from a local cabinet maker. A lot of the wood they use has been treated with pesticides.
I season my wood for about 6 months. I cut a lot of my own maple and get apple from a neighbor or a nearby orchard, if my neighbor runs me off when he sees the saw in my hand.

You sure can Robert. Anything you order through amazon will help this site as long as you start with this link

Here is a link with a little more explanation.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Robert Terry:
I need chunks, not chips. Can I order from this link and have TVWBB get credit? $7 for 5 pounds shipped is reasonable, and mighty easy to order... http://www.amazon.com/Weber-17...id=1297435630&sr=1-5. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've ordered those before, and the bags I received were about half small chunks, half chips.
I've also ordered from a guy in VA (VAmtnwoodproducts) on Ebay... his stuff is first rate, but a bit pricey.
Dan

JustinL, thanks for the heads up on the Amazon links, all shopping there (and we do a lot) will be via these links).

TravisH, thanks for those links. I will have unlimited access to free oak wood, and I am going to try orange/lemon/grapefruit which I can also track down for free. Unfortunately not many other fruit trees are grown this far south.

I bought a bag of Weber firespice cherry chunks at ACE a couple weeks ago, and although I did not weigh it, it was all good size chunks. Free shipping will allow me to order those chunks when necessary, but I'm going to look more to free local woods...

Most big retailers have bbq wood by the charcoal now! They almost always have apple, cherry, hickory, and mesquite. Chunks and shreds...You might have to go online for fancier kinds..I have been going to a nearby orchard where my father in law lets me cut down any dead fruit trees! I use a chain saw (of course) to cut slabs like an inch or two thick. Then at home I just use a hatchet to chop it into chunks! I love free wood!

I do actually get Hickory, Mesquite, and Cherry in chunks at local hardware and grocery stores. Apple chunks are difficult to find, but apple chips are readily available. The BRITU recipe called for oak, white I think, so I grabbed a log from a local firewood dealer. It is the more "exotic" woods I need to source. I do look forward to scrounging some free local wood though...

Back