Smoke-a-Palooza!

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
With the lovely weather we're having in Northern California, I decided I would spend Sunday with my grill. I cut up a whole loin from CostCo last week, and got about 10 lbs of it curing in a basic dry cure (1.7% salt, .25% cure #1, 1% sugar). Flipped every day (or every day I remembered) for 8 days. On Saturday, I was at CostCo toying with the idea of getting a packer brisket to make into pastrami, but decided to take a short cut and grabbed a couple of the Shenson brand corned beef rounds instead (I probably should have gotten one of the Snake River rounds to compare, but I cheated out!) Got the beef into a container of cold water, soaked for 8 hours, changed the water, then soaked another 16 hours. When I took it out of the water, I dried it thoroughly, then hit it with black pepper/ground coriander/garlic powder.

On Sunday morning, I fired up the grill at 240F, and texted a couple of neighbors to let them know there would be some room........

Faux-strami up top with my buddy's spares down below (the loin was in the smoke box rocking at about 155F):

1614626080702.jpeg

The ribs were done in about 5.25 hours (small racks), but I didn't get a done pic. I took the faux-strami to 170F, wrapped, then to 195F. Pulled to rest in a cooler, then overnight in the fridge:

1614626269825.jpeg

My other neighbor came by with a rack of baby backs, which took just about four hours:

1614626190250.jpeg

The loin ("Canadian bacon") took about 7 hours, and I moved it over to the main pit section to get it done (kinda stalled out at 130F in the smokebox), pulled/wrapped/rested, then overnight to firm up:

1614626356447.jpeg

My company was kind enough to give me a day off today, which came in handy so I could finish processing........ That Beswood 10" slicer I got off CL last year made short work of both the loin and faux-strami:

1614626414986.jpeg

1614626426391.jpeg

Both of the cured meats turned out fantastic, and I was very happy with the faux-strami especially. Nice and tender, salt level is good, and the pepper/coriander/garlic powder rub gives it that classic pastrami flavor. Some tasty sandwiches in my future (though I still have some vacuum sealing to do!)

Thanks for looking!

Rich

I need to find some neighbors like yours! Everything looks great and your going to be stocked up for a while! I think my next big purchase is going to be a meat slicer. No other way to end up with perfectly sliced meat. Just need to find somewhere to keep it!

I need to find some neighbors like yours! Everything looks great and your going to be stocked up for a while! I think my next big purchase is going to be a meat slicer. No other way to end up with perfectly sliced meat. Just need to find somewhere to keep it!
Steve, once I decided that I wanted to upgrade from my Chef's Choice slicer, I made room for it.....I like to do enough of these cured/smoked meat sessions that it is worth it to me (and it looks perfect on the shelf in the garage next to my big meat grinder!) :)

That looks great Rich. I am thinking of going down the meat slicer/vac sealing route myself. It was a beautiful day to be out with the grills.
Gorgeous day, Bill, and another good one today, too!

All packaged up, and first sandwich in the books......

1614630911330.jpeg

1614630924958.jpeg

Steve, once I decided that I wanted to upgrade from my Chef's Choice slicer, I made room for it.....I like to do enough of these cured/smoked meat sessions that it is worth it to me (and it looks perfect on the shelf in the garage next to my big meat grinder!) :)

Gorgeous day, Bill, and another good one today, too!

All packaged up, and first sandwich in the books......

View attachment 23403

View attachment 23404
Lol. I had a line on a used Berkel last week for $150 but the guy flaked out. The search continues!

They're all wonderful photos Rich, but that sammie bringing up the rear......... absolutely delectable
Thanks, Cliff. There are some who think that bread to meat ratio is out of whack, but I unfriended them! :) The sandwich did lack cheese (out of Swiss), but really didn't need it. :)

Pfffft. Need to find neighbors like HIM....
I'm pretty easy to find, Bryan.....and my neighbor across the street is putting his house on the market. Let me know if you want the details! :)

R

Agreed the right tools are helpful. Getting a vacuum sealer def made smoking cheese for convenient and less of a hassle. A meat slicer is next on the list. Will make a lot of things that want to try (thanks to this site) more doable.

I was planning on grabbing a couple SRF rounds this week one for pastrami, any reason you went with the other one?

Thanks, Cliff. There are some who think that bread to meat ratio is out of whack, but I unfriended them! :) The sandwich did lack cheese (out of Swiss), but really didn't need it. :)

I'm pretty easy to find, Bryan.....and my neighbor across the street is putting his house on the market. Let me know if you want the details! :)

R
Yeah. Anyone with a problem with the meat to bread ratio was raised in a loveless home. 😊
Checking job listings in the area now.....

The Shenson brand was 1/2 the price.... :) I really should have gotten one of each for scientific purposes! :)

R
I will take one for the team and get the SRF rounds! I will be doing one as traditional boiled corned beef for St Patrick’s day, it’s tradition round these parts!

Back