Small brisket point cook

Mark Silver

TVWBB Wizard
One of the greatest things about moving to Idaho (besides being the home of Snake River Farms), is that I can buy a brisket point cut without having to buy a whole packer and cutting it into the point and flat. Our local Albertson’s (also HQ,d in ID) had Cherry Creek Farms points cuts, so I purchased a small one as we are now empty nesters since out move from WA state.

Rubbed with Kosmos SPG, smoked on the Memphis pellet grill at 240 degrees for 10 hours, wrapped in pink butcher paper after 5 1/2 hours when the color was right to me and rested in a cooler for an hour after cooking to internal temp. of 205 degrees.

I have cooked many briskets in the past, all packers and flats and this was my first point only cook and my best brisket outcome ever. 9 8 9 for you KCBS CBJ’s. Tomorrow I’m of to Albertson’s to buy a couple more points to keep in the freezer.

1630451039122.jpeg
1630451078968.jpeg

Looks delicious, Mark! While there's just something about manhandling a whole packer, there are plenty of times where it would be way more sensical to do just a point! Lucky you that you can get them locally with ease!

R

OMG Yes - if I could find just the point, I would buy it all day long (y) and twice on shabbos

The mantra on this forum is no politics, but if we could get a candidate to add brisket point in every meat case to his platform, I'd vote for him/her he/she early and often.

By pronoun is Brisket. My candidate is Rich G, and he may, or may not approve this message.🤣 ;)

John, I completely agree about brisket points. Flats do not have enough intramuscular flat and are usually too dry after cooking. Now, with just two of us to cook for, a whole packer is too much and a lot of work to prep, besides. With the exception of corned beef, Idaho is the only place I’ve ever found points for sale on their own, and like you would, that’s all I will ever buy. When I need to cook brisket for more than the two of us, I’dd just add another point or two to the smoker.

Nice point. The best beef guy around here does the same thing.
It's a 1 hour drive but he has a whole vertical racked cooler with brisket options every time I am there.
Whole packers, and then just points and just flats and even weird big hunks of middle brisket that appears to be half flat and half point.
I always buy jus the point, usually ends up about 9 pounds before any trimming.
That 1 little piece on the end of the point that no one knows about when I cook them........🤫

Back