Sirloin, chuck and short rib burgers

Chris Lynch

TVWBB All-Star
So in my never ending search for the perfect burger I heard short ribs offered up some really nice flavor. I think the ratio was about 1/2 sirloin, 1/4 chuck, and 1/4 short rib. Ground and seasoned with S&P

Ground using the the coarse die on the grinder

Made for some beautiful patties. Here we are on the flat top

And also on the kettle. I think I am getting close to preferring the kettle. The trick for medium rare is 4 min per side over really high heat. I cooked these with the lid off to really get a blast of heat.

This is perfect for me. Charred and caramelized on the outside with a warm red center. No time for plated pics or sides I was super busy yesterday making stock, soup and baby food.

And now that Sebastian has reached 7 months and able to eat pureed lean meats - Why not do it on the Weber and get him started down the right path :) - A little turkey London broil and some top round London broil.

a little overdone for my liking but eh.

I think its funny that his meat comes from the grill. - It gets pureed and frozen. I'd show you a plated pic but I think meat slurry looks gross. Your welcome :)

Thanks for looking!

That's a good looking burger Chris!! Way to break in the tastebuds of a future griller, and thanks for shielding us from the meat slurry!! :D

Yeah, I'm usually game for anything... but I'll pass on the meat slurry. :) Now those burgers are a whole 'nother story!

That burger looks very yummy! I may be investing in a meat grinder soon....

Thanks for sharing!

Barret

That burger does , indeed , look awesome. But what did you think of the flavor? Was the short rib a good addition? I love to grind my own meat for hamburger , but I've never thrown in short rib....

That burger does , indeed , look awesome. But what did you think of the flavor? Was the short rib a good addition? I love to grind my own meat for hamburger , but I've never thrown in short rib....

Thanks everyone. Hey Frank, I'd say the short ribs added a real nice "beefy" flavor (if that makes sense) I am going to do it again and add more short ribs to the ratio to see if there is subtle difference.

Chris. same journey. I call it my burger quest. impressive line up and mix of meats. Would like to know what made you choose those cuts and that ratios? but more importantly how'd it taste? Also last have you used and what do you think about grinding round. Because your burger looks fabulous.

Don't lift the lid....

Chris. same journey. I call it my burger quest. impressive line up and mix of meats. Would like to know what made you choose those cuts and that ratios? but more importantly how'd it taste? Also last have you used and what do you think about grinding round. Because your burger looks fabulous.

Don't lift the lid....

Hey Jak, I am starting with Alton Browns 50/50 sirloin and chuck and modifying from there. In the past I've added lamb, pork and now beef ribs mostly because I read the article on amazing ribs dot com. I'd have to say that the addition of beef ribs was really nice but not necessary but nice enough to try again modifying the ratios. It did give it a real "beefy" flavor that was noticeable and next time I am going to cut the chuck back and increase the ribs. As far as grounding round, do you mean the shape of the grinder? Because I just got this one and I like the shape a lot. It made for forming the patties firmly but still loose, almost like a burger puzzle when formed allowing the juices and heat to distribute. I used to use the pulse setting on the food processor (also what Alton Brown recommended) and I'd have to say that this way is much better, mostly for forming and getting evenly cut pieces.

Back