Singaporean Chili Crab

Gary H. NJ

TVWBB Platinum Member
In all honesty, this dish doesn't belong on this forum, but it's so delicious and easy I thought I'd offer it anyway. The crab is typically deep-fried, but there's no reason it can't be given the OTG method: brush the crab with oil, a sprinkle of salt and grill! Follow directions for the sauce and toss them together. I hope you enjoy it. Great with soft-shell or hard-shell crabs.

Singaporean Chili Crab
1.5 lb soft-shell crabs, cleaned and dried. Or hard-shell crabs, cleaned and halved
Oil for deep-frying
¼ cup rice or water chestnut flour, or ¼ cup of cornstarch and flour combined
4 cloves garlic, minced
1.5 inches ginger, shredded
3-6 fresh hot chilies (Thai or Holland), whole or rough chopped
¾ cup tomato sauce
2 Tbsp chili sauce, like sambal oelek
1 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp toasted sesame oil
1 cup chicken stock
1.5 tsp corn starch, mixed with 2 Tbsp water
1 egg, lightly beaten
salt and pepper to taste
2 scallions and one handful of cilantro, sliced

Dust the crabs with flour and deep fry. An inch of oil in a skillet is all that’s needed; just fry both sides for about 3 minutes each. Remove and set aside to drain on paper towels. In a non-stick skillet, add 3 Tbsp oil to fry, and add garlic, ginger and chilies. Fry for a few seconds until fragrant. Add tomato sauce, chili sauce, stock, soy, sugar and bring to a boil. Add cornstarch mixture to thicken. Lower heat and add the egg, stir slowly until egg is cooked. Turn off heat. Add sesame oil, salt and pepper to taste. Serve the crabs in the sauce. Garnish with scallions and cilantro. Best with French baguette or rice.

Singaporeancrab.jpg

We have close friends that were on assignment in Singapore for a couple of years, and loved chili crabs.

I looked for a recipe a while back and found this one. Very similar to yours. I'll definitely save yours as well. Thanks for the post.

Back