Simulated Overnight Cook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Etheridge

TVWBB Super Fan
I did a 7-3/4 lbs Picnic Shoulder this weekend in a "simulated" overnight cook. I used the Renowned Mr. Brown recipe, the Minion Method, and sand in the water pan. Hickory and Cherry for wood. I did this simulation because I was chicken to actually do an overnighter without having some experience in doing overnighters

On a side note, this was my first time using sand and my 3rd attempt at making the Minion Method work for me, the previous two attempts didn't work out very well. /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif First time I was a newbie, second time was moisture in the charcoal.

The cook was done during the day and I spent about 3 hours dialing in the temp. Then, I "went to sleep" in that I was not going to touch the WSM for at least 4 hours no matter what happened. I was recording temps in my log, however. After 4 hours, I "woke up" and turned the butt, basted it, stirred the coals, and made a small vent adjustment. Then, I "went back to bed" for another 4 hours, "woke up," and turned the butt again. Back to bed for another 2 hours (it's the weekend after all /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif ) and finally up for good.

All I can say is WOW!! The WSM held a grate temp between 225 and 240 for 9 hours. And most of the time it was rock solid at 230. The Minion Method gave me a 12.5 hr burn before the temps really started falling off. That's a first for me.

I was shooting for 195 but, because it was getting late, I pulled the butt at 172, foiled it, and put it in a 300 degF oven to finish. After about a hour in the oven, though, the temp only reached 176 when I figured a hour would be enough to take it to 195. /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif Anyway, I took the butt out of the oven and let it rest for 30 minutes and proceeded to pull it. It pulled super easy, the bones came out clean, great bark, and it was very moist and juicy with a great smoke ring.

The Mr. Brown recipe is fabulous. Superb flavor. Easily the best Q I've made yet. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif I suggest anyone who has not done an overnight cook and wants some experience doing so to give this a try. It has given me the confidence and experience to try it for real.
----------------------------
Mark WAR EAGLE!!

Mark,

Where did you find the picnic shoulder? I'm having touble finding them here in Birmingham, and I need a 7+ lb. piece of meat for this weekend. The butts around here are going four to five and a half.

Thanks for sharing your experience. You're a decent guy, even if you are an Aub.

This particular picnic came from Kroger and was 79 cents/lb. The brand on the packaging was also 'Kroger.' I was looking in the Sunday paper and saw that Kroger again has their picnics for $0.79/lb, so you might try there. Sam's or Costco should have a 7+ lb as well

Fair warning, I believe the meat from Kroger was 'enhanced' /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif but if it was, I didn't note it in my log.

Thank you sir for the fine complement...May you soon discover why the sun is orange and the sky is blue /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif
-----------------------
Mark WAR EAGLE!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back