Should we discontinue Coronavirus - Covid-19 discussion on the forum?

Should we discontinue Coronavirus - Covid-19 discussion on the forum?

• Yes

Votes: 25 46.3%
  • No

Votes: 22 40.7%
  • No opinion

Votes: 7 13.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

BFletcher

TVWBB Wizard
I have no intention on voting because this remains my go-to site for reasons other than discussions on critical, global events. Others of our members, however, may hold very strong feelings either for or against the removal of the COVID-19 thread and I don’t want to influence a decision.

I will say this; I hold a certain amount of fear and I’m experiencing a relative high level of anxiety due to this virus, and while our family has been blessed to have remained healthy thus far, some of my immediate family members have been impacted financially. The uncertainty of not knowing the full extent and the end result is certainly unsettling.

When I read this thread’s posts it feels like I hear from most of the same folks as whom I see on other threads that are related to this forum’s theme. The style of communication is different among some individuals but I try to recognize that we’re wired differently just like there’s more than one way to prepare a fine steak. The COVID discussion evokes our emotions and our responses might be a little different than what we’re otherwise used to seeing from one another.

Some of us have livelihoods that don’t necessarily require us to collect and analyze accurate data while, for others, a missing or inaccurate piece of data could result in catastrophe. Our illustrations are sometimes tied to this and may influence to what extent we communicate with assumptions versus facts. Accordingly, I try to be a little understanding but I recognize there are times I lack the compassion that my Mom wanted to instill in me.

I can imagine Chris takes immense pride in his site, and integrity and credibility are most likely extremely important to him. So I can understand the internal conflict and judgement that is considered regarding certain discussions. But I’ve been here a little over three years and I hope some of you view me as a friend; I know I look to you as my friends. It’s human nature that behind our computers we might communicate a little differently than if we were workmates but this is—by leaps and bounds—the best darn site that exists.

I feel honored that I have access to this site.

Last edited:

Jeff Boudman

TVWBB Pro
I was going to go to the grocery store yesterday to buy three Boston butts to smoke this weekend. One for us and two for friends.
I decided it wasn’t worth the risk. Also, I didn’t want to appear to be a hoarder.
We’ll get this done at a better time.

Rusty James

TVWBB Gold Member
I vote to keep it open just to get the pulse of what's going on in other parts of the country since many "official" news outlets cherry-pick data to suit their CEOs & such.
Just to amend my previous post, if, down the road, the thread continues to be a source of unwanted grief and insomnia for the moderator, I would have no problem closing it down, even though it has been a source of learing for me. Adding undue stress to Chris is the last thing I want to do.

Lew Newby

TVWBB All-Star
Just to amend my previous post, if, down the road, the thread continues to be a source of unwanted grief and insomnia for the moderator, I would have no problem closing it down, even though it has been a source of learing for me. Adding undue stress to Chris is the last thing I want to do.
I voted keep it open but I'm with Rusty 100%. Chris, change my vote. It's bugging you and I should have recognized that and voted differently.

Hang in there Fletch. I'n seeing this country mobilize like it did in WWII and good things are happening every day. We'll get though this together.

Dustin Dorsey

TVWBB Honor Circle
I voted to close it. I like it as far as people telling what they are going through or experiencing (knowing my friends here are ok) but it kept veering into politics and it's a topic that shouldn't be political. If I see something political then I want to rebut it and spend time thinking of what I'd say. I don't want to do that. I've got better things to do. I need to keep myself and my family safe. I need to keep my mental health in check. Getting mad at something someone said here or on facebook doesn't help that. I want to go back to being irrationally mad at someone talking about sous vide .ATCs or Hot and Fast briskets.

Rich Dahl

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Chris is trying to keep the focus of this forum and I sense his frustration and feeling of losing control. I'm on this forum a lot because of the great people that share the passion of grilling and BBQ, even restoration of our Weber's.
This thread is not about cooking or any aspect of what this forum is about and I see some getting very upset about the comments of others.
Even if Chris keeps the tread and I hope he doesn't, right now I have more than enough stress in my life I don't need any additional. So with that said I won't be back to this thread.
Stay safe.

Dave DaRooskie

TVWBB Member
If I need news on coronaviruses, it would seem only logical to consult sites other than this one, does it not?
If I need to know how others have cleaned that nasty, peeling crud under the hood of my Genesis Silver, I can think of no better site than this one, bar none!
So let's all act like adults and only discuss Webers, barbeque and grilling here.
If you can refrain from talking about your sex life in front of your children, you can self-moderate here as well.
Consider it a civil service you perform.
Now, how do I get that crud from underneath the hood?
Many Thanks in Advance!

russ olin

TVWBB Diamond Member
Chris, I think that you should keep it open. I find it interesting to see who can handle the heat & who cant. Its knda interesting so see how it works on some people & some not so much. Personally I think we should be more worried about area's being hit by a 2nd blow from Mother Nature. Like wild fires running people into groups or tornadoes taking out areas in the Midwest. Then we have some real problems on top of what we have now. Hopefully this bug phases out before these other phases of Nature happens because we know that it will. Best thing to do is get on those smokers & stay focused. As said before tough times make of tough people. Our ancestors knew this very well. So ya, definitely keep it open.
Stay well & safe everyone!

Jim O

The subject has become a political war including what to name it and what drugs would be helpful in curing victims of the virus. I'll stick to BBQ but have no urge to close down discussion on the virus.

Stay safe

BFletcher

TVWBB Wizard
... and only discuss Webers, barbeque and grilling here.
Well, the topic in question is posted in the Just Conversation forum. There are some members here whom are friends on a personal level and there are a number of others among whom we interact--via this site--on a regular basis. We are privileged to ignore forums and threads contained within this site that are of no interest to us as individuals. Ignoring them would be a better approach, in my humble opinion, than to mandate acceptable topics for discussion :)

Joan

TVWBB All-Star
It's not the discussions that bother me. It is just seeing the name EVERY DAY that upsets me. I guess I am like the ostrich. I want to be able to stick my head in the sand and not think about it for at least a little while. I want to be able to turn my TV on without being bombarded about IT. And, I would like to be able to come to my favorite forum without seeing it on the "what's new" thread every day.

Steve MacIsaac

I'd like your input on this subject via a poll. I will take the results into consideration when making my decision.
Sorry to bother you with a separate email re this subject, but the votes so far seem fairly equally divided (allocating the 'no opinion'' % weighted proportionately to the 'yes'/'no'), with a slight edge for discontinue.
Which means a lot of people, albeit not a majority, like it. Would it be possible to satisfy both camps by setting up a completely separate Cov19 'box' or whatever, so folks who want to gab/rant/etc., can do so and the rest of us can (as I do) ignore the Cov19 comments. I come to this site to read about grilling, but enjoy the fact that people can discuss just about anything if even remotely related to grilling.
I think Cov19 is different from immigration, political opinions, etc., as Cov19 is a killer. Some of us may die, all of us are likely to know (within 2-3 degrees of separation at most) someone who will die. Some of us will likely have family members, particulalry elderly family members, who die.

That's gonna take a lot of fun out of my grilling, so the topic is on my mind and relates to my love for grilling.

Kevin L (NKY)

TVWBB Wizard
I voted to close as all on the board mean well but opinions get confusing when put to print.
Heck all you have to do is scan any news media local,or national and you will get as many opinions as the channels you visited.
The DATA is confusing as this virus does not take projected route it is ever changing ,and the data on deaths, those who have contacted it are misleading also.
The system is over whelmed and can not keep up. The data for the last few days has been improving but we will never know all the true figures.
Myself I am not scared of getting sick, as I have been put in the necessary category most of my working life and have had many illnesses because if it . I look at IT thIs way you do your best to stay away, and distance people, wash hands, keep your home car,phone etc clean, after that you are going get it or not ,that is life.
CHRIS YOUR SITE DO WHAT YOU THINK IS BEST.

Joan

TVWBB All-Star
Steve, I am the elderly family member and I am scared as sh**. And I am sure I am not the only one. I just don't want a daily reminder that I may die. I want to live whatever time I have left with my family as normal as possible.

PS That also means as normal as possible here also.

Jeff Boudman

TVWBB Pro
I frequent 3 sites: this site, a cigar site and a pipe smoking site. This is the only site that has a lot of misinformation and a lot of division. I have posted in the Covid thread and the humor thread. Sorry if I upset anyone with the humor thread. I’m done with both.

Joan

TVWBB All-Star
I frequent 3 sites: this site, a cigar site and a pipe smoking site. This is the only site that has a lot of misinformation and a lot of division. I have posted in the Covid thread and the humor thread. Sorry if I upset anyone with the humor thread. I’m done with both.
Jeff, I hope that does not mean you are done with this site?

Status
Not open for further replies.