Should we discontinue Coronavirus - Covid-19 discussion on the forum?

Should we discontinue Coronavirus - Covid-19 discussion on the forum?

• Yes

Votes: 25 46.3%
  • No

Votes: 22 40.7%
  • No opinion

Votes: 7 13.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
I'd like your input on this subject via a poll. I will take the results into consideration when making my decision.

Dave in KC

TVWBB All-Star
My first thought was, heck no! But I have only been a casual observer of the
thread, and hadn't look since about page 5. I want to stay aware of the situation
and was using the thread as a barometer of what others thought across the country.
However now, I am constantly bombarded with COV19 from everywhere. You simply
can't escape it. I really want to vote for you to get rid of it. But my fear is, it will simply
spread the talk into other forums and other threads. The Just Conversation forum is
the correct place for the discussion, so my vote is NO. Leave it where it is.

Tim K

TVWBB All-Star
Please take it down. There is a definite devision and it seems to only be getting worse. These are strange and very trying times to say the least. If we need a place or forum where we can all vent and aren’t judge-mental twords the others opinions; then keep it open. The problem is, I’m not sure that is possible. It seems that opinions regarding this virus are as strong and sometimes divided (and quite possibly fueled by) as our political beliefs. I will say this Chris; you have done a great job keeping this site on track for a great many years. No matter your decision, I’m still gonna come to this site daily as it is one of my last bits of normalcy left.
Just my thoughts.
Tim

Bob Correll

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I haven't voted yet, but I'm leaning towards closing it down.
It's been informative, but some folks can't stay away from giving their opinion, and opinions beget counter opinions, so on and on it goes.
It is good to know how folks are dealing with the crisis, and what shopping in their area is like.
There's another thread for that, here. I'd close that one too if it goes off the rails.
The bottom line to me is: This is your house we play in Chris, and if it gives you peace of mind to close it, then please don't hesitate.

Kelley Brown

TVWBB Fan
This is a great forum with a lot of great, very giving folks. Most sites like this eliminate divisive topics like religion and politics to keep that vibe going.

The media has lost so much credibility with me that I don't know what to believe in the stuff that I've read.

We'll just stay put out here in our little bit of heaven and wait for this to all blow over. Fortunately, I'm able to do most of my work from home during this timeframe and we are well stocked with provisions.

Last edited:

Bruce

TVWBB Olympian
I voted NO. I wasn't even aware that there was a thread dedicated to Carona/Covid. I don't see a problem with it since it is in the "Just conversation" section which is what I thought that section was for. No one is being forced to read the thread and as long as it doesn't go against already established forum rules, I don't see a problem with it. If you don't want to read it, Don't. But, since it is already 27 pages long, it must have some interest to someone on the forum. Besides, maybe it will help limit the discussion of the issue in the regular grill related threads.

Joan

TVWBB All-Star
I would like to go even just 1 day without seeing or hearing about the dang thing.
Could we also not post so many jokes on the humor thread about this subject also? I think we should just try to get back to normal here if we can. Even if it is for just a little while. Let's call it a V Vacation. lol

Bruce

TVWBB Olympian
I would say don't leave the house, but I guess that isn't even an option. Yah, I spent most of yesterday in my driveway working on a grill without the TV and listening to a rebroadcast of an old Vikings football game, I was in my own little world. It was nice to get outside in some nice weather and not be bombarded by face masks and social distancing and 24/7 Carona updates.

Timothy F. Lewis

TVWBB Hall of Fame
If it goes away, I won’t cry a sea of tears but, it does allow a generally reasonable place to vent ones concerns over something the likes of which most of us have never had to deal with in our lives. If you choose to close it that’s up to you. There are plenty of other places where people can carry on about the subject.

Rich Dahl

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Like others I'm getting overwhelmed with this thing with Barb working a lot of hours and me being self quarantined. I've been trying to avoid it, so If It goes away. I'll move on to other things hopefully.
Like going out and hugging my grills, It has been well over a month since I've taken a cover off of any of them.
My vote....yes

Bruce Bissonnette

TVWBB Guru
Personally I don' think you should discontinue it, however, I think it should be isolated in the JUST CONVERSATION section and have it's own thread so people who want to discuss it can and people who don't, won't have to click on that particular thread in the section.

Kelley Brown

TVWBB Fan
California question... Can a website be held liable for communicating incorrect medical advice? I saw that in a post elsewhere and thought that it sounded outlandish, even for California :)

Jason in CA

TVWBB All-Star
Chris,
I'm going to go with no opinion. I like to see the updates from our members around the country, and further. So for me it's not a problem and I would prefer it stays open. On top of all the other good reasons people have given to let it remain. Your concerns are different because you have been busy trying to maintain the forum rules and keep it civil. If that's becoming to much of a problem than it's our fault for not staying within the guidelines you have set. That's why I voted no opinion, since it's up to us to stay within the rules, and up to you to enforce those rules when you see it necessary. I guess my final thought is to leave it open if it doesn't cause further problems.

JKalchik

TVWBB All-Star
California question... Can a website be held liable for communicating incorrect medical advice? I saw that in a post elsewhere and thought that it sounded outlandish, even for California
Actually.... that is a huge question in the Internet age. There are a lot of people who do want to see websites held responsible for all content, and yet don't realize that their own Internet presence will potentially violate their own proposed rules & requirements. An even bigger issue is who has jurisdiction? Is it where the browser is physically located? Where the owner of the website it? Where the server is currently running (with virtual machines, that can change at a moment's notice.) Shoot, there some people that think the ISPs have some responsibility for content transmitted across their network.

There should be some responsibility for this, but who's going to police and/or enforce it? Nobody has jurisdiction over the end to end.

Kelley Brown

TVWBB Fan
Actually.... that is a huge question in the Internet age. There are a lot of people who do want to see websites held responsible for all content, and yet don't realize that their own Internet presence will potentially violate their own proposed rules & requirements. An even bigger issue is who has jurisdiction? Is it where the browser is physically located? Where the owner of the website it? Where the server is currently running (with virtual machines, that can change at a moment's notice.) Shoot, there some people that think the ISPs have some responsibility for content transmitted across their network.

There should be some responsibility for this, but who's going to police and/or enforce it? Nobody has jurisdiction over the end to end.
That's along the lines that I was thinking as well. I couldn't understand how that 'scope' could be defined on the internet.

BobJ

TVWBB Super Fan
By the looks of the reads and posts on the thread it's pretty popular right now. If it were me and I wanted to keep it open I'd just delete any post or part thereof that was deemed against the rules, no need for lengthy explanations.

AMumma

TVWBB Member
My brain is fried by COVID-19. I'm an essential worker, and I'm in management at that. So not only do I have to go to the office 4 days per week, I've gotta coordinate the schedules of my team to ensure they can get in and be ready with a contingency plan if they can't get in. Honestly, I need as many escapes as I can get. I voted yes.

Steve Petrone

TVWBB Diamond Member
My problem with this whole subject is two fold.
#1 anecdotal stories are meaningless in the big picture.
#2 reporting at every level is FAULTY- the many cases of virus that are symptom free or just a minor inconvenience are not counted

That does not mean that this isn't the biggest healthcare story ever and that many will die. We just are not getting the whole story and thus not the truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.