She cooks!

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
Well, she will anyway, for now, just testing my plumbing and reseasoning the grate. I did a pretty quick clean up job. Wire wheel on the inside, and just some spray cleaner on the outside....haven't tackled the cart yet. Not bad for a free grill and $25 in parts (plus another $20 for the igniter that is still en route.)

IMG_7359.jpeg

IMG_7360.jpeg

IMG_7356.jpeg

IMG_7357.jpeg

.....550F in less than eight minutes!

IMG_7361.jpeg

Is that the grill you did the hose and regulator conversion on? Great job and great grill for $25. Lucky daughter.

Is that the grill you did the hose and regulator conversion on? Great job and great grill for $25. Lucky daughter.
Yep, one and the same, Bruce. Judging by the lack of discoloration and ANY grease in this thing, I would wager it was used very little before being put on the curb. It really brings the heat running off that big tank! I wrapped the dial past 600F after a 30 minute burn in. Have to make sure to teach my daughter what that knob is for.... ;)

R

Great job without blowing the budget! The mid-size 220/2200 is my favorite, but all the Qs are wonderful grills.

Great grill for the investment, and the conversion to the big tank without using the adapter hose is a big plus.

Q-masters.....so, I've cooked on this Q220 a couple of times, and the lowest temperature the grill will go to is 450F (yes, I tested the thermometer, it's within 5 degrees of accuracy in ice water.) I'm assuming that this must be due to the regulator that I have on the hose I bought? Yes?

The regulator is THIS ONE and is rated at 1 PSI, which I think is what I want. Is there something else going on here, or did I buy the wrong regulator?? I am still planning to send this back to school with my daughter, but I think it would be best if I can get it so that it cooks within a normal range of temps.

FWIW, on high, the thermometer gets pegged, so it's probably about 700F or higher.

Thanks!

R

Wrong regulator. 1 PSI is WAY WAY WAY too much pressure. Actual pressure is measured in WC inches and should be 11"WC on an LP grill. In PSI that is about 1/2 psi or less. Get that regulator off before you blow yourself to you know where. The Q3xxx should only TOP OUT a little over what you're bottoming out at. You want something more like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0194I48AG/?tag=tvwb-20
If it says it's for fryers, fire pits and the like it is most likely NOT the one you want. Or spend a bit extra and buy an actual Weber one.

Got a new regulator, and it works much better! Temp on high topped out at just over 500F, whereas the other reg I was using pegged the thermometer. I didn't have time to test where it levels out at on low flame, but I'll get to that today when I give my daughter a Q lesson with some kabobs.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

R

Back