Semi High Heat brisket

k walsh

TVWBB Super Fan
I can't get any higher than 275F on current smoker - its an electric -my WSM will be joining me soon!

Can anyone venture a good guess of roughly how much time per pound it would take do do a brisket at 275F, or is this just a bad idea do cook at this temp?

I just need it for a rough estimate in planning out when to start the cook for a supper time finish.

thanks
Ken

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by k walsh:
I can't get any higher than 275F on current smoker - its an electric -my WSM will be joining me soon!

Can anyone venture a good guess of roughly how much time per pound it would take do do a brisket at 275F, or is this just a bad idea do cook at this temp?

I just need it for a rough estimate in planning out when to start the cook for a supper time finish.

thanks
Ken </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have cooked at 275 and it turned out fine. Just cook until it is tender. I would say 1-1.5 hrs/lb. I am not sure though. I cooked a 15lb packer at close to that temp and it took about 17 hours until it was tender.

Are you cooking a whole packer or a flat? Are you planning on foiling?

Just a wild guess:

About 3 to 3.5 hours to get to the "foiling temperature" of 160 - 170 degrees. Then another 2.5 hours wrapped in foil to get tender.

Good Luck!

JimT

It is a whole packer.

I have not thought about foiling or not. Would foiling make a difference? When do you foil?

Thanks
Ken

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by k walsh:
It is a whole packer.

I have not thought about foiling or not. Would foiling make a difference? When do you foil?

Thanks
Ken </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think foiling it speeds up the cook a little. I tried a high heat with foil but I didn't like the outside of the brisket after. I like the bark that you get while low and slow. How big is the packer?

I had a master built electric smoker & never liked the product it produced. If i'm going to go to the trouble of smoking I do over charcoal/ wood now.

I have not done a whole packer yet, but I do cook flats at 275 routinely. I do not foil at all. Simply get the WSM going and up to temp and throw the flat on, fat side down. Cook for about 1 hour per pound. I like this semi-high heat method because it shortens my cook time to a reasonable time frame and the no foiling makes for a very nice exterior texture and I still get very moist and tender interior.

Here is a pic of my latest brisket:
b76f6aa5.jpg

Back