Selling my Genesis II S-435, need advice

Mack Manning

TVWBB Super Fan
I got a deal on a new model S-435 with taller cook box and will sell my Genesis II S-435 (after comparing and contrasting for you fine folks).

I'm looking for advice from grill flippers. Grill is natural gas in great condition, few years old, never registered. Has Weber cover. There's one bent bar on one grate and cook box and grates are a little greasy, seasoned, not filthy. I'd like to sell quickly with minimal effort, even if it means giving up $100-200.

What's a good starting price?

Should I swap my new burners, flavorizer bars, heat tents in to make it shiny?

Should I get shiny new grates for $70?

If it doesn't sell soon, should I convert to propane to attract more buyers? I understand it voids warranty. I have the parts and experience to do it safely.

Thanks for any tips.

Sell it as is and price it for the market. Don’t waste time on conversions. There are buyers who want NG. Clean it up to make it look good in pictures. There’s a buyer for every grill. I speak from my own experiences. They sell when priced for their condition.

Based on your info-
DO NOT CONVERT.
New burners, flavorizers , heat deflectors will help, but
I would not be taking them out of a new grill to sell the old one.
Any cleaning you do, will certainly help.
Please post a few pics so I can give you a much better idea.
Without pics I can only give a vague spread - $300 to $500

Personally, I would consider putting the new grates and flavo bars in the grill before selling it as long as the others are still in very good shape aside from being dirty. BUyers love the shiny NEW stuff. The gunk and grease is your grease so who cares. Besides, ten cooks in, you won't know which are which any more. I agree with Dave on the pricing range. He would be very good judge on those grills, at least for his market area.

Personally, I would consider putting the new grates and flavo bars in the grill before selling it as long as the others are still in very good shape aside from being dirty. BUyers love the shiny NEW stuff. The gunk and grease is your grease so who cares. Besides, ten cooks in, you won't know which are which any more. I agree with Dave on the pricing range. He would be very good judge on those grills, at least for his market area.
Thanks, Bruce. Unfortunately, the old grates don't work with the Crafted racks and I have two of them. If I keep my old grates, I'd have to store the Crafted racks outside the grill. One goal of the upgrade was to keep the grill stuff outside so I don't need to carry greasy stuff from my deck through the house to the garage.

So, I clean up the old grates until they're shiny, or I spend $70 and buy new ones from Amazon. I still work overtime, so I'm leaning towards new ones if it will speed the sale.

Flavor bars and heat shields seems like a no brainer. Old ones are ugly, but no burn through yet. I guess the average buyer doesn't think about burners, so I won't swap those.

. I guess the average buyer doesn't think about burners, so I won't swap those.

If you remove the burners and shine them up a little with 320 wet/dry sand paper they will likely look new for a few mins time per burner.

When you post the sale add, have a pic without the flav bars, showing the new deflectors and shiny burners, and then another with shiny flav bars then another with the grate install.

Grates... You said one is bent. are these SS rod grates? Can it be straightened? Oven cleaner in a bag can do wonders with SS rod grates. I guess the question is, if you spend $70 on new grates, will you recoup that in sale cost or speed to sell.

Chris has a nice video. Cost is a can of oven cleaner and a plastic garbage bag. Let it sit and hose it off.

Last edited:
A wire wheel in a drill or angle grinder works wonders on stainless steel grates, flavorizer bars, and burner tubes. It does require an investment in your time however, but the results will outweigh the expense of new parts in my opinion.

Well, she sold for $600 in a day with just scrapping the gunk, wiping down the cabinet, and wire wheel on the grates. I used the new heat shields, flavor bars, and side burner parts to give some bling. I had at least 2 serious local backup buyers, and 8 more inquirers, so I probably could have gotten $700-800, but I needed it sold this week.

Back