Seeking Help to Complete Genesis 1000 Restoration

RonCT

You've heard it before... Long time lurker, first time poster.

I often longed for the 1997 Genesis 1000 I bought new and left at the curb when it was rusted through. At that time, Weber was still making some nice grills with "new" features. The replacement was a Silver B with shiny stainless doors and an easy-to-clean composite side shelf. The Silver B steel frame started rusting through where it bolts to the firebox and the search for a solution lead me down a rabbit hole here at this forum. I found a NOS complete frame for my Silver B, so I just have to swap it in and enjoy for another 10 years. But then I found the threads about restoring "my old 1997 grill". Final surprise was that there was a Green Genesis 1000 for sale only about 3 miles from home! I picked it up from an anxious wife and reluctant husband. She couldn't understand why he hung onto the old Greenie when he had a new $1k Weber next to it...

When I got it home I cleaned and broke-down the major components. Made a list of parts to be replaced / repaired. Ordered everything needed, including upgraded black stainless bolts for the top, and brought the rusted-through frame and shelf brackets to a local welding shop. They replaced the square tube, drilled the hole for the shelf brace, and bent / drilled the brackets (see photo). It took some searching, but I found the correct "threaded tubing nuts" for inside the square tubes. I even found the exact-size cedar planks to replace the grey plastic shelving / handle (see photo of completed grill with wood slats).

Here's where I hit a wall. I've got respiratory issues and spray painting is going to be a real challenge. Besides, I don't have a place to paint / cure. I've also discovered that I'm better at the treasure hunt and disassembly than I am at putting things back together. I have the high-temp primer and paint for the firebox and top ends as well as the paint for the frame, so basically everything is in hand to finish.

For anyone that has read this far, I'm looking to see if there's anyone in CT, southern MA, western RI, or eastern NY that has the expertise and is willing to complete the project. I understand it might be hard to nail down just how much time it will take, so I'm open to being flexible on cost.

Thanks!
Ron (Central CT)

Attachments

• IMG_4661.jpg
    IMG_4661.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_4662.jpg
    IMG_4662.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3808.jpg
    IMG_3808.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3807.jpg
    IMG_3807.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_3803.jpg
    IMG_3803.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_3806.jpg
    IMG_3806.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_3791.jpg
    IMG_3791.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_3811.jpg
    IMG_3811.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 35
  • Weber Genesis 1000 Restored.jpeg
    Weber Genesis 1000 Restored.jpeg
    217.2 KB · Views: 33
Just a thought…if you have any N95 masks left over from the pandemic they make great masks to wear while painting.

I wish I could help you out. You have put in a phenomonal effort to this point. But I live in Wisconsin.

You can buy masks that are made for painting and shouldn't be too expensive. You just need an open area to do the painting. Even if you have to drag it to the street. Let it dry a few minutes and stick some rods into the ends of the frame and have someone help lift it back to a place where it will be protected until it dries fully. Even if that is up against your house or apartment.

I bought one of these not too long ago mostly because I was tired of sucking in drywall dust when working on my remodeling projects. It is also suitable for paint fumes and is fairly comfortable to wear. Screenshot_20230712-212210.png

I have mentioned before that a prior editor of Hemmings Classic Car magazine was diagnosed by his doctor with lung cancer. His doctor asked him, "So, how long have you been smoking?" The answer was "Never!" But then the editor said he thought about all the cars he had spray painted😞.

I try to be faithful to use a similar respirator even for short spray paint sessions. It's always tempting to not bother, but I think it is worth it.

Back