Secret to getting pizza onto stone on the grill?

Barry McCorkle

TVWBB Super Fan
What is the secret with pizza dough that makes it easy to slide from peel to the stone on the grill? I use a pre made refrigerated soft dough from Publix bakery and it is sticks to the surface of the pan when I add the sauce and toppings. Are any of you adding flour to the dough to make it easier to roll out flat from a ball and then move to a pizza stone for cooking?

Barry;
Both Tim's and Terry's methods work. The parchment paper is the more reliable but requires parchment paper (DUH!) If you use cornmeal, I prefer to brush the cornmeal off the stone in between pizza's, otherwise it can burn. Frankly, I can be found using either method.

FWIW
Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

I roll my dough out on flour or semolina flour wether it store bought dough or homemade. I also find its easier to launch your pies with a wooden peel; I have both wooden and steel peels. I always put semolina flour on my peel befor placing the rolled out pizza dough on it. Sometimes I use a combo of flour and semolina on the peel. Always make sure sure your dough slides easily on the peel before loading it with toppings. I also check a couple times when putting the topping on to make sure the dough still slides. I don't use cornmeal because I don't like the flavor of it and I find it burns faster than semolina.

I've used semolina flour, corn meal, regular flour. I have a wooden & a metal pizza peel.

(edit: I also have pizza screens & pizza pans - I've tried almost everything :) )

I've also used foil (don't have parchment paper) to cook on between the pizza & the stone.

Watch some youtube videos for some ideas, but for me, when they say "and it's just that easy"

.....it's usually not.....

Last edited:
I use semolina and/or flour on the peel. Once I have the pizza loaded on the peel I check to make sure the pizza slides before trying to launch it. I will hold the peel in one hand and lightly tap the side of the peel against my other hand. If the pizza starts to stick this will usually knock it free and slide real easy. Just don't do it very hard or you will mess up the pizza. In this video at about the 2 minute mark he shakes the peel which accomplishes the same thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRL1FTQZMu0

Barry;
Last night, We had my brother and wife over for a pizza party. It was a "build your own" pizza. My wife formed the dough and each person put their own sauce and toppings on. I did all of the grilling. This can create a problem while pizzas sat around waiting their turn at the grill. My wife formed the dough on parchment paper. When it came time to grill the individual pizzas there was NO sticking wharsoever. In fact, i had to be careful carrying the pizzas on the peel to avoid them sliding off. My wife had deftly trimmed the parchment paper with kitchen shears evenly around the pizza. The paper was about 1/2" larger than the pizza. No paper sticking over the edge of the stone and catching fire. I did NOT bother trying to remove the parchment paper. I just slid the whole thing off the peel and onto the stone. The pizza browned perfectly. When it came time to remove the pizza, I just grabbed ahold of the edge of the paper and slid it onto the peel along with the pizza. Easy/Peasy!

Keep on smokin',

Last edited:
The problem gets worse when you have to do several pizzas, one after another. If you use cornmeal, semolina, or flour if the pie has to sit on the peel for any length of time, the meal absorbs moisture from the pie and it WILL stick. Sometimes a "bit" and sometimes a LOT....

Under those conditions, parchment paper wins every time. However, if you work quickly and only doing one or two pies, then cornmeal, semolina, or flour will do just fine.

Just a thought or two...

Keep on smokin',

Back