Second batch of Heatermeters

Peter F

TVWBB Fan
Just started another batch of Heatermeters. This time 14 completely build and 4 DIY kits.

When the parts came in it looked like an early X-mas;

HMbatch2-1.jpg

HMbatch2-2.jpg

HMbatch2-3.jpg

HMbatch2-4.jpg

After two afternoons of soldering;

HMbatch2-5.jpg

HMbatch2-6.jpg

Tomorrow the boards should be all done.

I had the PCBs made in China, the price is about half of the price of OSH Park but you have to order them in multiples of 10. I like the quality although this time they forgot to print the values of the components, this might be my fault because I edited the eagle files to get rid of the red LED bug and I might have screwed up the silkscreen layers while creating the gerbers.

Well that does it, someone has finally built more HeaterMeters than I have. It looks awesome!

So as someone with more experience now than me, do you have any assembly tips? Do you do them all fully one at a time, or like all the 10k resistors on all the boards at once, etc?

Well that does it, someone has finally built more HeaterMeters than I have. It looks awesome!

So as someone with more experience now than me, do you have any assembly tips? Do you do them all fully one at a time, or like all the 10k resistors on all the boards at once, etc?

I've only build 30 so far.:cool:

My son helped me to populate the boards, I solder and supervise. The fasted way is to do one type of components at the time, so first all 10K resitors on all the boards and so on. This also reduces the risk of making mistakes, all 14 boards in this batch tested 100% at the first time.

Still amazes/annoys me that the package for the nano-wifi adapter is bigger than the package for the Pi. They could shave $0.50 off the price just from the shipping alone.

Still amazes/annoys me that the package for the nano-wifi adapter is bigger than the package for the Pi. They could shave $0.50 off the price just from the shipping alone.

It annoys me that I have to unpack them all, would have preferred to buy them bulk in a ziplock bag. ;)

I've only build 30 so far.:cool:

My son helped me to populate the boards, I solder and supervise. The fasted way is to do one type of components at the time, so first all 10K resitors on all the boards and so on. This also reduces the risk of making mistakes, all 14 boards in this batch tested 100% at the first time.

Thats pretty cool, how exactly are you testing them? Just a power on test?

I test all the probe inputs, the fan output, test the joystick, switch the LEDs on and off, test communication with the RPI, check the web interface, adjust the contrast of the display, etc. Sounds like a lot of work but most things only take a few seconds.

A box with 18 excellent HM4.1 cases arrived today! Thanks for printing them Tom!

HMbatch2-7.jpg

14 Complete heatermeters and 4 DIY kits almost ready for shipment.

Back