Seasoning a clean cooker with vegetable shortening?

Doug M

TVWBB Member
Just finished a cook, and the following day throughly cleaned my WSM using degreaser and dish soap, and had this idea.

The next time I bring it out for a cook (before firing it up) would coating all the interior surfaces with a light layer of vegetable shortening help make clean up easier?

If grease, smoke, and moisture get stuck to the bare porcelain enamel during a cook, maybe a pre-applying a non-stick layer would help.

Any thoughts?

I’ve never done a spit shine on the interior, how does one develop the requisite seasoning that will seal minor leaks and the like? Seems like a totally unnecessary job of work to me but, it’s your unit you can do as you please.
I bought mine from a member and it came ”pre seasoned” sparkling clean on the outside and nicely aromatic on the inside Five years ago and I’ve not done anything to the inside. Had a wonderful overnight and half day of smoking just last Saturday. Closed it up, shut everything down, emptied the ash next day wiped down the outside and put it away ready for another day of work at a moments notice.

I’ve never done a spit shine on the interior, how does one develop the requisite seasoning that will seal minor leaks and the like? Seems like a totally unnecessary job of work to me but, it’s your unit you can do as you please.
I bought mine from a member and it came ”pre seasoned” sparkling clean on the outside and nicely aromatic on the inside Five years ago and I’ve not done anything to the inside. Had a wonderful overnight and half day of smoking just last Saturday. Closed it up, shut everything down, emptied the ash next day wiped down the outside and put it away ready for another day of work at a moments notice.
I’m with Timothy.

I've had mine since may 2020 and all I've ever done to the inside is scrap off the loose film with a plastic putty knife. If it doesn't come off after a few seconds I live with it. The grates I bring inside and scrub in the sink but I have the 14.5 WSM so they are manageable.

I sold mine after 2 years of using and a razor blade cleaned up the inside really well. If I had not sold it, I doubt I would have cleaned the inside. After each use I emptied the ashes and used a plastic scrapper on the bottom. Of course I cleaned the grates each time, and kept a foiled pizza pan over the water bowl for easy cleanup.

Yep, unless you have a science experiment growing in there no reason to go full Hazel.
Exactly this, our WSM only sees action a couple times per year, and a few times we’ve opened it up to find a pretty “furry” situation inside.

I’ve tried storing it with the cooking grates removed, and immediately after finishing a cook removing the door and opening the vents to “burn off” the inside at a higher temperature, but it was still questionable when we opened it up the last time. Did not think to take any photos.

Exactly this, our WSM only sees action a couple times per year, and a few times we’ve opened it up to find a pretty “furry” situation inside.

I’ve tried storing it with the cooking grates removed, and immediately after finishing a cook removing the door and opening the vents to “burn off” the inside at a higher temperature, but it was still questionable when we opened it up the last time. Did not think to take any photos.
My use was very sporadic as well. I did the opposite. As soon as I am done cooking I close everything up to smother the coals to re-use leftovers. The next day I clean it out, open all the vents, place the clean grates back on, put on the cover, and put it away on my covered porch.

Have you heard the old saying “if you don’t use it, you lose it”

The only time I've cleaned a grill really well, was just before it went up for sale. The guy that bought it laughed and said it will never look this good again.

1662684905443.png

Turn your middle section over as in upside down.
Any water will run on the outside. I store mine that way and no more surprises.

I’ve really got to get the dratted garage cleaned up so I can get things in and out more easily again! I had to step over a handful of patio furniture covers and a snowblower to get my WSM out away this week! There seems to be a lot of dust getting kicked up this week so, I’ll have to give it a sponge bath and put the cover on until next smoke. Happy I got it back in the garage at all. Refinishing floors and new book cases was a headache! But, it’s mostly put back together now.so, I can maybe get some of the garage cleaned up before winter?

Last edited:
Yeah, I too doubt it trying to code it with the seasons vegetable oil is going to do any good. You just going to build the grease from the food on top of that. And that gives you that wonderful smokey cooker smell. Until you get a fire in it from wood chunks actually burning and then it smells like Creosote and creosote can actually build up on the walls and lid.

Back