Searwood lid catching (does anyone else have this issue)

Did it ever open?
As Tim mentioned above, try moving to a level location. If you plan on keeping in this spot you might need to loosen hinges and adjust to match the angle you are on.
Let us know what you determine is the cause.

How level is your patio deck?
If it's pitched that might make it bind up as you move your hand towards the high spot.
It’s about 1/4” per foot (typical code). I thought the same thing. I have leveled the grill on the patio. Problem still persisted.

Did it ever open?
As Tim mentioned above, try moving to a level location. If you plan on keeping in this spot you might need to loosen hinges and adjust to match the angle you are on.
Let us know what you determine is the cause.
Will do. The grill opens it, but catches. Sometimes very severely.

I did level the grill to account for typical drainage slope (.25”/ft). Problem still persisted.

There aren’t any hinges to loosen. Just has pins through the holes. I tend to think Weber just has poor machining tolerances for this. I was working with Weber to get this resolved. This is the second grill with the same issue. Pretty dang disappointing.

On one of Sambo's place videos he had a similar problem when trying to open the lid from the end of the bar , either right or left end them it would catch. He tightened the nuts on the inside of the hood , and that fixed the issue .

Can you tell what it's catching on? Lower or upper rack, side or front?
Does something look bent or out of square?
Pic from google.
1726228805077.png

Last edited:
On one of Sambo's place videos he had a similar problem when trying to open the lid from the end of the bar , either right or left end them it would catch. He tightened the nuts on the inside of the hood , and that fixed the issue .
Thank you very much for this info. Do you have the link? If not, no worries.

Can you tell what it's catching on? Lower or upper rack, side or front?
Does something look bent or out of square?
Pic from google.
View attachment 99901
Hi. it is the inside of the lid catching on the outer edge (not front) of the cookbox lip.

Everything looks nice and square. Checked another assembled searwood xl at an ace hardware. Couldn’t find anything that was strikingly different from mine.

Attachments

• IMG_4748.jpeg
    IMG_4748.jpeg
    259 KB · Views: 8
I just put together and fired up my Searwood this weekend. This happens on mine if I try to lift the right side of the bar on the lid. In the middle of left, there is no issue. But it catches on the right side. It's no big deal if it remains only an issue on the right side. I can't really figure out what it is other than it's just a tight fit and the lid needs to go straight up.

I have yet to see this new model in any of the stores in south Houston.
But are there any nuts/bolts that are holding the sheetmetal lid to the side pieces that could be tightened to help eliminate twisting of the lid while opening it?

It uses a bolt and a clevis pin. I'm thinking it might not be centered correctly, might be leaning towards one side and that is why the other side is catching ??

It uses a bolt and a clevis pin. I'm thinking it might not be centered correctly, might be leaning towards one side and that is why the other side is catching ??
Could also measure the lid and grill diagonally on both sides and see if both are squared. But it seems like the lid is just twisting out of square when lifted off angle. So maybe the lid side panels and thinner sheet metal lid are not mated in a way that make it ridged enough?

Back