School me on "bark"?

Brian_D

TVWBB Pro
What is a "good" bark? Thickness? Texture? Flavor? Is it the same consistency for pork vs beef?

I bbq'ed a tri-tip & the bark came out quite different than I've ever had before, so now I'm confused...

I have a hard time imagining bark on a tri-tip. That's kind of like bark on a steak!

Search "meteorite" and you'll see plenty of pork butts, and you'll also see a lot of people who think it's too much. So long as it's not burned I like it.

A lot of people think that you have to put a slather on the meat to get a good bark but I got one of my best when I forgot the mustard slather on the butt.

I did pork carnitas in my insta-pot last Sunday, it called for broiling the meat on high in the oven at the end (I know, way other direction) for 5-8 minutes each side of the pulled meat. The pork carnitas tasted like it had bark in it, even though it was done in a pressure cooker.

My favorite parts of the bark are when it's mixed in, it's nice to have the different texture & flavor, plus it looks good.

I think of bark as the crusty caramelized surface that builds up as meat smokes. Like Clint, I do not think of bark on grilled meats like steaks. What is good bark? Well what do you like? Generally people think of bark as being somewhat dry, hard, and crusty. Since it is the caramelized outer layer it generally will have a lot of smoke flavor and the flavor of the rub or glaze you are using. I find that some of my best bark forms on the outer layer of fat that covers a pork butt.
As I said earlier, decide what you like and that should be your goal. After all the meat is for you and your family so cook what you like. that being said, if you are smoking for competition then bark is generally well defined and the judges will grade you based on the standards.

It's simply the surface of the meat drying out and becoming essentially jerky. Some people cook Tri-tips like a brisket so you might have a bark form then. Most of us cook them more or less like a thick steak. I've gotten great bark on briskets with just salt and pepper. I would think most competition cooks aren't as concerned with bark as they are appearance and tenderness. Personally I love the gorgeous black crust you get on a Texas style brisket.

Bark is not just dry outside anymore than toast is dry bread.

Its the maillard reactions, the browning , that creates flavor compounds. Also mixed with rub, sugar spices, etc.

The only time I ever got that black Meteorite looking bark was when I did L&S or overnite.
The majority of my cooks are semi HH ( in the 9-12 hr range) and that bark has a nice mahogany color, but that depends on the smokewood.
Hickory or pecan gives me a blondish color, cherry more red, and oak or maple gives a darker color.
That's why I like to mix .:wsm:

Tim

So what I experienced was a crackly crunchy crust on the tri-tip that was loaded loaded loaded with flavor. I'm assuming that this was bark?
I seasoned with salt, pepper and garlic, cooked it indirect until it hit 120, then did a reverse sear over the coals.
I've never had anything like this & it was wonderful! Which is why I'm confused. I've made alot of low & slow pork ribs and what I "thought" was a bark on them has always been... pasty. What gives?

I've made alot of low & slow pork ribs and what I "thought" was a bark on them has always been... pasty. What gives?

Try upin the temps, like 275 -300. Loin or spares can handle the heat and alot of members grill them HH.

A few pics of what I call bark.

And then you get the caramelized crust like you got with your TT.

Depends on what you want to do, but if you play around enough, you'll figure it out.:)

Tim

Mr Correll, I (we) would prefer your opinion on bark vs Meathead please.:)
It's a lively topic and I think we should all sing along.

Tim
Well alrighty then.
Bark is what our pooch does when the UPS truck comes up the street. :p
Take it from me, I'm not a meathead fan, but thought his take would help the OP understand just what bark is.

Well whatever it was, I bbq'ed the other half tonight. Despite cooking it the same way, I was unable to duplicate the magic 😞

Back