Sat Night Pizza

Dwain Pannell

TVWBB Hall of Fame
I worked in the yard all day and decided it was a good night for something easy. So we bought some of the dough in a tube and built us some pizzas with some garlic infused olive oil, pizza sauce, roma tomatos, proscutto, pepperoni, olives, spices, and a couple diff kinds of cheeses. I've tried several methods but like this one the best: I placed both charcoal baskets on one side of the kettle and placed bricks on the food grill. The pizza stone went on top of the bricks. I simply rotated the whole pizza stone every few minutes to keep the bottom from burning on one side. Basically I cooked it a third at a time. This method has resulted in some of the best pies to date.

Hers:

Mine:

Your pizzas look better than what I had tonight in the local Italian restaurant. Very nice!

I'm a fan of grilled pizza, also. However, I have better luck by just dumping in one chimney of lit coals, spread evenly over the bottom. I have my pizza stone elevated on two THIN fire bricks, and find that the pizza cooks quite evenly in about 10 minutes +or-...

My son bakes his the same way but uses an elevated grill grate to accomplish the same thing. I am thinking of seriously getting a raised grill from the Big Green Egg people for the same thing.

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?37115-More-Pizza-Party-on-the-grill&highlight=Pizza+grill

At any rate, Dwain, your pizza looks YUMMY!

FWIW
Dale53

Dwain,

That crust looks great, can you share the recipe? I am not happy with the crust recipes that I normally use.

Jim

That crust looks great, can you share the recipe?

On this pizza I simply used the tube dough you buy at the store. I unrolled it onto the stone and trimmed the excess. I had been working in the yard and there was no time to mix dough and let it rise. :-)

Have you ever tried the dough balls from Publix Bakery? I am still ironing out my dough recipe so I was wanting to try in the mean time. Also, any pionters on how to make the bottom of my crust not taste like cornmeal and still get it on the stone? Thank you

Hi Curt and other pizza lovin' buds; I make my own dough but it's designed for high temps (my wood fired oven). Very thin crust - strictly using Caputo 00 flour, water, yeast and a pinch of salt.

If you have a Trader Joes they sell dough balls that rise quite well and have good flavor. These work well at the 500F to 600F range too.

One trick is to build your pizza on a wooden peel and instead of using corn meal under the pizza, try semolina. It's coarse, purified wheat middlings of durum wheat in pasta and cereals and you might like that better. Also, don't overload the dough with toppings! Big mistake and it always makes it difficult to transfer pizza too heavily laden with stuff. You're better off adding those last toppings quickly after transferring to the stone, but there isn't a lot of time.

Back