Salmon on the OTG

Mark Ritter

TVWBB Member
Grilled some salmon on the OTG tonight. Indirect heat for about 20 minutes with a little hickory smoke. Broccoli and a red, white, and blue salad as sides. Kind of healthy compared to many things I grill, and yummy too. Thanks for looking.
DSC023191024x681.jpg

DSC023201024x681.jpg

DSC023221024x685.jpg

DSC023231024x949.jpg

DSC0232321024x613.jpg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Andy Beers:
Looks great. Ever tried it on a cedar plank </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I have done it that way. And we liked it a lot. If it was not for the additional cost of the plank, I would do it that way most of the time.

Mark I love your Salmon plate, and salad that is great, here is my only problem. I have a hard time trying figure out when the fish is done, so 20 minutes at about what temp are we talking here? I really need to learn more about this. I do Salmon, and trout, but I am never sure I doing this correctly.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kevin L (NKY):
Mark I love your Salmon plate, and salad that is great, here is my only problem. I have a hard time trying figure out when the fish is done, so 20 minutes at about what temp are we talking here? I really need to learn more about this. I do Salmon, and trout, but I am never sure I doing this correctly. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kevin, I have a thermometer in the top of my lid and I would say the temp was pretty close to 350 degrees at the top of the dome. So I would suppose the cook level temp was about 325. The salmon, a little over 2lbs, was out of the fridge and on the counter with the rub on it the whole time the charcoal was being lit, so I think the salmon was close to room temp by the time I put it on the grill. So it was 20 minutes at 350 degrees (top of the dome). I know I have had to adjust that time a little in the past. I always check the thickest part with a fork before I cut it into serving sizes. Sometimes it will need another 5 minutes or so. Hope that helps.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rob M:
Nice Salmon, what was the seasoning? I really like Paul P. Salmon Magic - thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I first rubbed the salmon with a small amount of brown sugar, then liberally applied the Wegmans Black Pepper Seasoning. According to the ingredient list on the bottle, it has a mixture of cracked black pepper, dehydrated garlic, salt, and spices.
DSC02324606x800.jpg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mark Ritter:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kevin L (NKY):
Mark I love your Salmon plate, and salad that is great, here is my only problem. I have a hard time trying figure out when the fish is done, so 20 minutes at about what temp are we talking here? I really need to learn more about this. I do Salmon, and trout, but I am never sure I doing this correctly. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mark thanks for your reply, Do your edges sometimes get brown or is that leaving it on to long?

Kevin

Kevin, I have a thermometer in the top of my lid and I would say the temp was pretty close to 350 degrees at the top of the dome. So I would suppose the cook level temp was about 325. The salmon, a little over 2lbs, was out of the fridge and on the counter with the rub on it the whole time the charcoal was being lit, so I think the salmon was close to room temp by the time I put it on the grill. So it was 20 minutes at 350 degrees (top of the dome). I know I have had to adjust that time a little in the past. I always check the thickest part with a fork before I cut it into serving sizes. Sometimes it will need another 5 minutes or so. Hope that helps. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mark Ritter:
Kevin, the thinner edges do just start to get a little brown and crispy. I think that part is especially tasty.

Mark thanks for your reply, Do your edges sometimes get brown or is that leaving it on to long?

Kevin

Kevin, I have a thermometer in the top of my lid and I would say the temp was pretty close to 350 degrees at the top of the dome. So I would suppose the cook level temp was about 325. The salmon, a little over 2lbs, was out of the fridge and on the counter with the rub on it the whole time the charcoal was being lit, so I think the salmon was close to room temp by the time I put it on the grill. So it was 20 minutes at 350 degrees (top of the dome). I know I have had to adjust that time a little in the past. I always check the thickest part with a fork before I cut it into serving sizes. Sometimes it will need another 5 minutes or so. Hope that helps. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Great looking cook Mark! That salmon is fantastic. Is that also a Wegmans purchase? Also, is the "blue" in your salad from blueberries or the cheese?

Back