Salmon 3 ways

Looks great, and by the title it appears as though you watch too much cooking shows.....;)
Raw fish doesn't work well with me as attractive as it looks.
The chef should start eating off of a white plate, all the colours make it trickier to drool over.
Great looking meal man, possibly lining up some great Memorial Day treats you are going to have to show off?

I take it that's not cooked? Save your bait for the Halibuts next month :)
The belly sashimi was raw. The poke was marinated and still raw. The aburi was cured and the torch seared so I’d call it rare. The meal was incredible. The salmon was a Costco farm raised Atlantic fresh one, skin off.

Looks great, and by the title it appears as though you watch too much cooking shows.....;)
Raw fish doesn't work well with me as attractive as it looks.
The chef should start eating off of a white plate, all the colours make it trickier to drool over.
Great looking meal man, possibly lining up some great Memorial Day treats you are going to have to show off?
I’ve been watching cooking shows since I was 7 or 8. Can’t unsee all those now.

If you prep the fish and season it, maybe your body will work better with it. We tend to have lots of fresh sushi here in CA with an amazing selection too. Best part of eating it is yiu feel satisfied but not full as in weighing 10 lbs extra as beef makes us feel.

I’ve been searching for a specific white set of dishes. Haven’t found what I seek yet.

Daughter’s bday is Sunday and she’s requested a Mediterranean pasta with garlic infused EVOO , capers, olives, cherry tomatoes and salmon chunks in it. The salmon cooks from the residual heat of the pasta. It’s quite yummy. I’ll also grill off some shrimp and scallops for those that want more than salmon (son’s gf doesn’t do salmon and she likes shellfish).

I might start that meal with some grilled sausages and bruschetta apps. And some nice wines too. I think grilled Brussels will make an appearance as well, with EVOO, fresh lemon and shredded pecorino atop.

Might do either a PP or some blended fresh ground burgers on Memorial Day. No extravaganzas. Just some California rustic and fresh cooking, what I call how we grill and eat out here.

Brett, that looks amazing. I could eat that everyday for about a week before I got tired of it. Well done sir!

Is the Costco salmon sushi grade?

Brett, that looks amazing. I could eat that everyday for about a week before I got tired of it. Well done sir!

Is the Costco salmon sushi grade?
"Sushi grade" is a sales term, not a FDA/USDA term.

I eat Costco's raw farm raised Atlantic salmon and their wild caught ahi tuna all the time and for many, many years now. And i've never been ill or sick from doing so.

Farm raised salmon does not have the parasites that wild salmon does.

Now, if you fear becoming ill from any raw seafood, i'd recco you deep freeze it for at least 48 hours according to some sushi preparation methods. Doing so, WILL change the texture of your seafood protein.

Now there are also preparation methods, aburi specifically, that brine the salmon and then torch it to create taste, nose and alter the salmon's texture which does "cook" it, but to a rare level of doneness.

if you'd like to learn more about "sushi grade," you can start here: https://www.seriouseats.com/how-to-prepare-raw-fish-at-home-sushi-sashimi-food-safety

and thanks for the kind words! i like to keep the menu interesting at home and salmon is in my rotation every 8-10 days or so. the Costco farm raised salmon is excellent quality, so long as it's FRESH. If the package is aged, looks milky, or a few day (2-3) after the pack-on date, I'd recco brining or cooking it. I only choose and eat the freshest ones i can buy at Costco.

Last edited:

Back