Rustoleum at almost 50 Degrees

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
Has anyone done much painting with the Rustoleum High heat paints at the low end of the temperature range? I have two projects waiting for paint to finish them off, but the only day for the next 9 days that will be close to 50 degrees without rain is tomorrow. The label says to paint in the 50-90 degree range. Tomorrow is supposed to get up to 48. Otherwise, I am stuck until NEXT weekend at least. What do you guys think?

If the humidity is low, you should be fine. I have painted at 40 in low humidity. It will also help if it is sunny
and you can paint in the direct sunlight.

I looked into this last year while doing other projects, found some info on a spray equipment site that made sense.

Clean surface, warm solvent based paint, longer drying time, including time between coats.

Thanks guys, I will try to time it just right tomorrow late afternoon, but I won't have enough time to do the Skyline. I will just spray the CharQ bottom cook box with a couple coats.

Our weather is really taking a dip this next week. We are only supposed to get up to 33 on Monday and 34 on Tuesday. Likely some significant snow/rain leading up to that as well. And it isn't supposed to improve much until at least next weekend.

I think humidity will be the key more than temps. Also don't know if you have an attached garage but if you do, heat transfer from your house will warm the garage

I don't paint inside my garage. And it is attached, but not fully insulated. The roof is not insulated.
I am planning on giving it a run at peak temp and min humidity tomorrow afternoon. I can probably bring it inside the house after it initially dries.

But, it is snowing out right now.

Hobe Sound Weather.png

It is still really hard for me to comprehend that you are having snow! It is already getting to be summer here...

I have a lot to get used to!

Yeah was in the 30's here high wind low 20's wind chill and a little while ago I saw a few flakes. Nearly 70 yesterday

Keep the rattle cans inside until you paint, and warm them up in a bowl of hot/warm ( like a hot tub or so, not boiling) water to help them spray better.

Andrew, I do that a lot when it is cold. I put them in some warm water for 15 minutes or so. If the can feels body temp or slightly warm to the touch, then I know they are good to go. But, I will probably just bring them in tonight so they are ready to go when the time comes tomorrow.

Yah, that is a good point. I will try to be mindful of that while I am doing it. But, I have found the Rusto High heat paint very forgiving under most conditions.

Back