Rusted screws on 2011 to 2016 Genesis 330 control panel

JeffG-PA

Good evening ….

I am trying to remove the control panel so I can replace the manifold for a NG to LP conversion and ran into a snag. The two screws for the control panel and two screws for the wind deflector are severely rusted and I am unable to break them free.

I sprayed them with PB blaster and will try again in the morning but wanted to see if anyone could offer any advice. I’m assuming this has been encountered in the restorations and repairs that have taken place.

Thanks again for all the insight thus far in my project.

Jeff

IMG_0037.jpeg

Last edited:
If you have a propane or MAPP gas torch you can try heating up the metal around the cookbox where that screw attaches. Heat it up for about thirty seconds and then try to break the screw loose. I would also use a regular screwdriver and not a drill which will either strip the screw head or just snap the screw head off.

I would just drill the head off with a larger bit like a 1/4 inch. Try not to remove too much of it. That will allow you to remove the wind screen and then you can soak PB blaster and try to remove the screw with vice grips.

The wind shield is not absolutely required and come to think of it I didn't put mine back on after a month or so since I shuffled things around.

I have no idea why Weber uses funky screw heads for those screws. A simple Phillips would have been fine.

I would just drill the head off with a larger bit like a 1/4 inch. Try not to remove too much of it. That will allow you to remove the wind screen and then you can soak PB blaster and try to remove the screw with vice grips.

The wind shield is not absolutely required and come to think of it I didn't put mine back on after a month or so since I shuffled things around.

Just drill out all four?

Well, it will be tough to get the threaded portion out once the head is gone. Do it as a last resort.

I ended drilling the heads off to remove the panel. I’ll pull the end caps and so I can spray the body of the screws and hopefully remove them with vice grips.

I couldn’t figure out why they was so much rust on the underside of the control panel. Once I dropped the windscreen it became obvious … mice had build a next and the rust was caused by urine.

Oh well ….

Those screws are a funky type head. I just put my E310 back together this morning and here are the screws. They kind of look like a square head slot combo with philips. But the combo is what makes them easy to strip out with a regular #2 Phillips screwdriver. They may be that larger style Phillips....But why not just use normal philips #2.

20230813_094303.jpg20230813_094405.jpg20230813_094359.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like you might be able to stick a flat bladed screwdriver in there or even a square bit.

Back