Rusted out Floor in your Genesis, no Problem!

Steve. It is a Weber rack. It is from a Genesis 1000, I think. I did have to modify the hanger brackets a bit to get it to fit since the 1000 frame is slightly longer than a Silver B. But that was simple. I figure now it won't suffer from the moisture collecting on the floor any more and will last a good long time with the added ventilation and lack of a solid floor to collect water. By deleting the floor, I had to weld in the front and rear cross members and then drill the holes in the front for the door hinges. That was the touchy part to ensure they hung evenly. It makes me happy when I can rescue a grill that would otherwise be headed for the scrap heap simply due to a rusted out floor.

I’d be happy to buy a restored grill from Bruce in a heartbeat!
Bruce, I cant thank you enough for the help you gave me on the Genny! I’m still trying to persuade myself to do the full stainless frame with laser engraved scale and control panel. That might get the blue lid…

Thanks all. I had been shying away from those last generation Silver B's with the cabinets, but this one was free and I needed another rehab grill. I usually strip out the floor, back and sides on them and drop in a wire rack from my stock pile or fab in some composite decking for the bottom. I didn't really have any spare Silver B bottom racks, but when I found I could easily and quickly modify a Genesis 1000 wire rack just a bit to make a nice fit, I thought it would be nice to save the cabinet and doors as well. It was something I discussed with Jon about a couple of times over the years talking about that is how Weber should have made those grills in the first place to help alleviate the rust problem.

Steve. It is a Weber rack. It is from a Genesis 1000, I think. I did have to modify the hanger brackets a bit to get it to fit since the 1000 frame is slightly longer than a Silver B. But that was simple. I figure now it won't suffer from the moisture collecting on the floor any more and will last a good long time with the added ventilation and lack of a solid floor to collect water. By deleting the floor, I had to weld in the front and rear cross members and then drill the holes in the front for the door hinges. That was the touchy part to ensure they hung evenly. It makes me happy when I can rescue a grill that would otherwise be headed for the scrap heap simply due to a rusted out floor.
This is exactly what I need to think about mine, the floor has started to rust and bubble... I appreciate the holes to allow for "drainage" that they tried.. but yes it needs this exact mod!
Now to work out a UK Alternative as the used Weber models aren't as freely available 😂

David, maybe consider fabbing in some composite decking or maybe even wood.
Bruce, can you elaborate on how the decking is attached? My wire rack is just fine, but I also have some leftover decking. Might be something to do down the road.

thanks

Just keep in mind that if you want to use the decking AND want to have the cabinets and doors, you will need Z-channel pieces to drop the floor below the level of the horizontal bars you will need to install. I did that on my old Platinum, using aluminum Z-channel and durawood slats. The nice thing about that was nothing to ever rust. For the open cart, I think those decking slats look extra nice. For a closed cabinet, I really like what Bruce did with the wire rack. It is exactly what Weber did on the 1st generation Summit.

TO be honest on that Genesis Gold, I had stripped the cabinet off it which necessitates bracing the legs. I welded in two pieces of (I think 3/4" angle iron across the front and back. Then I cut the decking to fit and simply drilled holes used SS screws to hold the decking in place.

I don't remember the length of the decking, but that will vary by how the pieces of angle iron are fabbed in. As Jon states, you can simply fab in square tubing, either welded or with the connecting nuts and bolts and the use the Z brackets to create the floor with the decking that simply drops in on top of the fabbed in cross members.

Back