Rusted leg on Performer

Status
Not open for further replies.

W Tyler

TVWBB All-Star
Just picked up a used Performer at a pretty good price, but about two inches of the leg at the front right leg is rusted away. The caster doesn't fit, and it drops to that side when the wheel falls out. I can think of several ways to "fix" this, short of ordering another complete frame from Weber. Cosmetics aren't that important - only functionality. I wanted to get some suggestions from the gang before I pursue one of the options I'm thinking about. Thoughts/Suggestions???

IMAG0723.jpg

The vent has code "DO" on it, so it's a 2005 model.

I told him that I bought it from someone and - cheerfully - he let me know up front that re-sold Webers are void of warranty.

So I probably could have gotten all sorts of goodies for "free" if I withheld information, I will be making my own "patch" of the leg, cleaning it up, and enjoying my $40 grill.
icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by W Tyler:
How long is the Performer warranty? This one has to be at least 5 years old - maybe more.

The vent has code "D0" or "DO" on it. Anyone know what year the grill is? Does TVWBB have a list of codes? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/wsmage.html

7 years old. It's a 2005.

For repairs I would first evaluate the rest of the frame. Is the rest of it fairly sound? If so I would look for a tube that would fit snugly into the leg tube as well as a tube the same size as the leg. Then cut the rusty metal off and use the smaller tube inside the original leg and section of replacement tube and you'll have a solid repair. Smear a little JB Weld in there and you won't even need to drill for a screw to hold it.

The leg is one long U shaped tube that forms two legs (next to the bowl and away from the bowl.) It might be possible to to find someone who could fabricate the entire thing though that could get costly. I wonder if a muffler shop would have tubing that diameter.

Otherwise - nice looking Performer!

Did you ask Weber for a price on the repalcement part? I'm thinking it might not have been that expensive..

on their warranty page it says "on all remaining parts 2 years".
the performer manual says 5 years. this is refering to the frame.
but the manual does say to the "original purchaser".

so either way i think yer outa luck.

if it was mine i would do a repair like hank talks about. a tube with a tube inside. this will be very strong.

just say your the original owner, it's not like they would know. Just tell them it broke, even if it's older they might do something.

Brian

Good advice guys, and Hank I'll try to fab up something to make a near seamless fit.

I have a Hobart 110 Flux welder that I think will just blow a hole in the side of the tubing, especially not having shielding gas - so welding is probably out.

I called Weber and priced the U-frame, and it's $56 and change, plus the standard 7 bucks shipping - which ain't gonna happen since I only paid $40 for the whole grill. I have a Harbor Freight only 2 miles away - I'll stop in there and see if they have some better casters than the spindly plastic ones anyway.

I'll get it cleaned up, the repairs done, and post some pics of it when it's ready to cook.

I wasn't aware that the Weber warranty was to the original purchaser. I've had my gasser fixed under warranty even though I bought it on craigslist. I don't think they ever asked for proof of purchase when I was getting it repaired and it's even serialized. I'd call and be honest with them and see if they'll fix it under warranty. There's a pretty good chance they will.

If that doesn't work then luckily the rust is on the small wheels - which I think are pretty useless anyways. I agree with George - if you can find a way to attach better casters I'd just cut off the existing ones and reattach new ones. If it fails you can always fall back on ordering the new U-frame.

Bought a 1x6 threaded steel pipe section from Home Depot. Same diameter AND finish!!!
icon_eek.gif
What are the odds...?? Also picked up a couple of ball-bearing locking casters from HFT for $2.99 each.

I'll cut the rust out, pop the threaded pipe in, cut off the other threaded in, and see how it looks.

Reads like ya got some black iron nipples?
That should work if not you could try some lengths of 1" EMT conduit and either a compression fitting or screw type like the two on the right side of this.
Steel_EMT_Conduit_Steel_Fittings.jpg

It's galvanized so you can paint it black or leave it.

Tim

Finally got a good choice of parts to fix this thing. By this weekend, it should look like it did from the factory.

The 1x6 NPT was WAAAY too long, and too large in diameter. So I ended up with the shortest NPT I could find - basically 3/4" x 1 1/4" - to go into the stub end. And a 1 in. diameter electrical conduit to slide over the NPT to match the existing 1" steel tubing. After light sanding and a couple coats of primer and paint, it should be really close to the factory fit. I'll supply pics when done.

Repaired leg.....20 bucks later (2 new Weber casters, some NPT thread, and a 2 inch section of 1" diameter plastic/PVC conduit pipe).....and 4 bucks for a can of Krylon plastic paint! Not perfect, but good enough for me.

Legrepair1.jpg

Repair in context with the rest of the grill

IMAG0780.jpg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hank B:
Nice work.

Is that basket that connects the front and rear legs on right or is it upside down? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good question - I'm not sure. I think it's right side up..???
icon_confused.gif
Works for me fine as is.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by george curtis:
according to the "instructions" its installed correctly. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I asked because on my older Platinum, the edges of the bottom basket curl up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back