Rubs & Baby Back Ribs

BenM

TVWBB Fan
I just picked up the following Meat Church rubs: Honey Hog BBQ, Holy Cow, The Gospel, Holy Voodoo, and Holy Gospel. I have never used any of these rubs before. Tomorrow night I'll be making some baby back ribs and want to know which of these would be a good choice for them?

Attachments

• download (1).jpeg
    download (1).jpeg
    8.3 KB · Views: 8
Any answers you get will be subjective. Meat Church makes some nice rubs but which one works best for you on a specific meat may not be what works for someone else. I'd suggest watching some of Matt Pittman's videos and see how he uses and describes various Meat Church products.

I just picked up the following Meat Church rubs: Honey Hog BBQ, Holy Cow, The Gospel, Holy Voodoo, and Holy Gospel. I have never used any of these rubs before. Tomorrow night I'll be making some baby back ribs and want to know which of these would be a good choice for them?
I dunno if you can get country style ribs but if you can you could try some of each rub on diffent ribs.
I just came back from my Sons and he's using the Holy Gospel on a bone in pork loin.
Smelt fantastic.

Thanks. I put the bb on about 30 minutes ago. I used a light touch of VooDoo and a heavier coating of Honey BBQ. My WSM is running at around 275, I closed all bottom vents and kept the top one at 50% until it gets to about 250

Here is the final product...Baby back ribs on the Weber Smokey Mountain. Used Meat Church VooDoo and Honey BBQ rubs. They came out great! 4 hours at 250, and another 15 minutes after I sauced 'em

Attachments

• 20220902_172507.jpg
    20220902_172507.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 20220902_172331.jpg
    20220902_172331.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 11
Rubs are very subjective. You can do anything from salt pepper , to salt pepper garlic, to heavy coatings of fancy rubs.

What I find makes the most difference is to have the right amount of salt. Without that the meat will always taste a little bit bland.

I often put just salt and coarse black pepper on the bottom of the ribs, and salt pepper and a rub on top. I get two meat flavors.... Depending on where the bite comes from. When wrapped with brown sugar and butter..... Topside down...... Then baste it with the liquid out of that foil when you unwrap them...... It turns into that wonderful candied glaze on top. You can eat them without any sauce just fine. No need to sauce on the smoker. But if you do it just makes a heavier flavored glaze where you really don't need any sauce on the side.

I cooked a couple of racks tonight. No sauce on these this is how they look when they come off the smoker. 2 hrs at 300, 30 min wrapped @ 300, 25 min unwrapped basted with the liquid from the foil... Which is basically meat juice, butter, brown sugar, rub.

Attachments

• PXL_20220911_231321165.jpg
    PXL_20220911_231321165.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Back