Rotisserie setup on a 22" kettle - tell me what works best for you

DanHoo

TVWBB Olympian
I picked up a rotisserie for the 22 and now I'm reading up on how best to set up the coals.

First spin will be rack of pork, maybe half a rack. I'm not sure who's around to eat tomorrow.

Briquettes or Lump? I have both.

Pile of coals on the front? front and rear? Lid on? Lid off?

I'll do some searching but I'm open to hearing what works best from all of you.

Rotisserie is nice, but not absolutely necessary, I have had one for several years. Some years I never use it & on average I would guess that I use it maybe 3-4 times a year, maybe.

Dan, I go original Weber in box pamphlet directions, full charge of coals, split between two baskets drip pan down the center spin it with a chunk of some kind of smoke media in one or both baskets. Start it up, make a cocktail and just let the thing roll!
I find between 45 minutes and an hour seems to be good for timing. Get sides started, enjoy a cocktail and dinner will be ready by the time you’ve had the second one!
I don’t always put potatoes in the drip pan but, one certainly can, carrots, onions, parsnips, turnips probably any or all would be nice cooked in some pork fat!!!

I've yet to spin a rack of pork but in terms of the process I could not have shared my method nearly as eloquently as TFL has done. I cannot answer as to whether or not that is the best method because I have not employed other variations and I do use the lid.

I am grateful for a wireless thermometer on these cooks but it isn't completely necessary, especially given that I enjoy watching the protein spin a few times.

I kept my kettles just so I could bust out the roti occasionally. Never tried a rack of pork like that but I’m definitely doing it now. I’ve always used a basket in each side with the pan in the middle tio. Sometimes a wood chunk in one or both baskets. Roti cooks are just fun!

I've yet to spin a rack of pork but in terms of the process I could not have shared my method nearly as eloquently as TFL has done. I cannot answer as to whether or not that is the best method because I have not employed other variations and I do use the lid.

I am grateful for a wireless thermometer on these cooks but it isn't completely necessary, especially given that I enjoy watching the protein spin a few times.
How kind of you Fletch!
Some days the gift of gab does seem to rest with me!
And yes, I always use the lid, it’s just the way the old book said, makes the most sense to me, contain the heat, you actually have a bit of a convection oven thing working there. I really like the rotisserie, so much so, that I made a dedicated cart for it!
I may not use it every week, but, it’s ready to go at the drop of a hat! Dedicated extension cord and rod right over the sing next to the butcher twine! I love spinning something! I might do a rack of pork next weekend!
Thanks guys

Last edited:
I did my first spin last night just Like Bruno did but mine was a chicken, I large diced some potatoes and onions and put in the pan, they needed about 30-40 more minutes imo, coarse the skin needed maybe that much to hit the perfect crispness. Lid on

For the record my pork was over seasoned and over cooked it was a great learning experience.

That particular cook was a turning point in seasoning and salt levels, it could have been amazing.

Well I have spatchcocked a lot of birds over the years and you can dry the chicken out, I am not sure you can with the rotty , I will par cook them next time thanks for that tip.(y)

Well I have spatchcocked a lot of birds over the years and you can dry the chicken out, I am not sure you can with the rotty , I will par cook them next time thanks for that tip.(y)
I Light-up a large Weber Chimney with Charcoal Briquettes, space apart the two(2) Weber charcoal holders and pour evenly the lighted coals into the charcoal holders and then add a few chunks of Weber Smoke Wood. I then place a aluminum pan filled with some hot water between the charcoal holders and then fire-away my Cajun Bandit Rotisserie. If spinning the meat/chicken for more than a hour I then add 5-6 unlit coals in each of the charcoal holders every sixty(60) minutes. Oh, Lid-on.

Attachments

• 94F9906D-4A5C-4A1E-974F-9E284894E3BC.jpeg
    94F9906D-4A5C-4A1E-974F-9E284894E3BC.jpeg
    321.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 3FE092AC-B4D5-44F5-905E-177367D59917.jpeg
    3FE092AC-B4D5-44F5-905E-177367D59917.jpeg
    315.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 9035F1FC-8585-4BA6-B904-B20DDBDB7A3E.jpeg
    9035F1FC-8585-4BA6-B904-B20DDBDB7A3E.jpeg
    378.7 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Back