Rock Chalk Jayhawk, Chiefs revival, best BBQ in the world- life is good.

Jeff Jones

TVWBB Member
Greetings from near KC, kansas side. Have been reading this site/forum for some time now, and finally got around to creating a profile. Have learned most of what I know and practice from reading all the great information shared on here. The smaller portion of what I know is from trial and error and occasionally veering off the path how things are "supposed to be done".

Have already done a few of the simple mod's that I learned about on here, and have a few more in store. Found some killer locking wheels on Amazon. Did the Nomex/Silicone gasket kit that was recommended on here. Bought the new Maverick 733, and did the super simple top rim notch mod. I am really not a handy or mechanically oriented guy, so the simple mod's that people post, especially with pictures, are really great for people like me. There is virtually no way that I would've thought of, or had the stones to, cut that small notch in the top of my WSM. Have only used the Mavereck once, but that notch seems to be the best option for me.

Next simple mod is attaching some big U-Bolts to an extra charcoal grate, with my charcoal air-hole ring all attached together. This simple addition will be advantageous on a few levels. Will be sure to always set my new "basket" perpendicular to the original charcoal grate... This will help with the small chunks of lump charcoal from falling through. The handles will make it simple to shake or rock to free up the spent ash, and get it in the bottom bowl where it belongs. And, for me, I think the best part will be shaking out the ash from previous burn, and lifting the good leftover coal out, to simply dump the old ash. Basically have everything I need for this basket, with he exception of some nuts and washers that should be coming today. Will take pic's and post once done.

Also plan on posting pic's of my cool wheels, with the Amazon link to them. Believe they were $11-ish each, plus some metric nuts/washers from HD, total investment of about $35. Have already gotten great use out of he wheels with last weekends WINDY smoke. They allowed me to move the WSM easily and safely all around my patio. Over seven hour smoke, had it in three different spots. Great wheels, simple mod with no special tools.

My next small project is a little more outside the box thinking. My hopes and plans are to make a simple heat resistant hanger/holder/box type of deal for my new Maverick. Was searching Amazon for a heat resistant mat, and found some rubber type of mat that beauticians use to put hot curling irons or hair dryers or whatever on... Rated up to 600 degrees, direct contact. Was like $10, I think. Then I got an aluminum clipboard, and was going to simply bend it a couple of times to form a shelf and front at bottom to hold the transmitter snug. Clipboard ended up being way too big, so just got a 12" x 12" sheet of galvanized steel to try to "fabricate". Using "" there, because I really don't work with metal or know what I'm doing. My concept is to have a lightweight metal rack/shelf/box type of thing, with the heat barrier to protect the transmitter... And either hang from the side or attach to one of the legs. I want it basically attached TO the smoker, so the probe wires have some play inside the smoker, as well as not having the wires to trip over, or or not banging around the transmitter if a drunk friend (or myself) knock it off of whatever table or rigged up stand I have it sitting on. I'm not as concerned with the looks or aesthetics of my equipment, but more focused on the practicality and convenience of use for selfish, lazy, frugal purposes. That Maverick-733 seems to be a great unit, but at $80, I'd like to keep it safe and secure for some time. If I can accomplish that with another $15-20 project, I look at the added expense more as insurance for the initial investment. The added functionality is the cherry (or GRAVY) on top! I'll never leave the transmitter or probes out in the elements, but will probably look for some kind of Tupperware or other plastic cover to protect the transmitter if I'm smoking in inclement weather. Disposable quart soup container from you favorite Chinese take-out might work, but something a little flatter or more square might be better.

Ok, I'm rambled on far too much already. I'll close with a huge THANKS to all of you that post all of the great information, encouragement and enthusiasm on here. Just consider the cumulative knowledge and experience of all of the members of this site. How many tons of meat have been through all of our grills and smokers? How many variations of methods and techniques have you all tried? How many smashing success stories do you all have? As well as the few disappointing and downright humorous failures do you all have? Humorous now looking back, aggravating, discouraging, and depressing at the time of the unfortunate result. The important part is that we all learn from our hits and misses. The awesome part is that you have a huge group of avid friends and BBQ-Family to share it all with. Misery loves company, a little support and advice on our failures is invaluable. It's also nice to be able to brag and share the success stories as well. It's human nature to take great pride in a job well done, so it's awesome to have such an anxious peanut gallery here to share with. Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
I like a guy who edits his posts for spelling. Reassures me that I'm not the only one. Welcome to the group. Sounds like you're on the right track ....be sure and post pictures. We can't get enough. Good luck. :cool:

Back